• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IBC totes for heating oil/Diesel

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I have searched, but cant find concise answers.

To store either heating oil or diesel in an used but excellent condition, food grade, cleaned out "doesn't smell of anything" IBC tote for 6-8 months, what type of gaskets should it have? I am not interested in using the ball valve on the bottom, I will try and cap it off to prevent leakage from it. Any other things I should be aware of? It will be stationary once put in place, and removed when it is empty.

Thanks!

Beyond Biodiesel

An IBC tote should work fine for storing any petroleum distillate for years. The only problems that would arise are:
1) Breakdown of the HDPE from ultra-violate radiation from the sun, so it should be kept out of the sun.
2) Embrittlement from the cold, so it should not be stored outside in very cold weather.
3) Alcohol content in US American gasoline could damage the seals if it is over 3%. Note: winter US American gasoline can contain alcohol up to 10%, so a waste oil-gasoline blend should not contain more than 30% gasoline if stored in an IBC, or run on any diesel engine with silicon seals in the IP, such as the 6.2L diesel engine will have.

74M35A2

If the tank will not be in motion, I don't think the gasket material is of significance, except for the bottom ball valve (possibly those mount with sealant)? They usually have a large fill cap on top. Is this the gasket you are asking about? Otherwise, perfect answer just above this for things to consider, as plastic is nearly the same thing as motor oil/diesel fuel, from a chemical compatibility perspective.

Bo1

I stored my homemade biodiesel in one for years without issue. I also stored used cooking oil in one as well.
I currently work somewhere that uses them to store and ship paint all over the country. We recover the used tanks from our customers, wash them, and reuse them for years. IBC totes are tough.

lxawolf

If your concerned for the gaskets new ones can readily be purchased from a number of online suppliers. I looked into this several times (my main stopping point is the wife) They also have the ability to adapt the 2" quick connect style fitting to various other sizes, for any number of multiple needs. One thing to consider if you plan to put a pump through one of the openings. The HDPE plastic is not strong or supported at the filling cap. So care needs to be used or the plastic can bend and develop stress cracks. As others have said, protection from UV is important. Not just for the IBC tote but also for the contents.

Ray70

I've always heard that you can paint them with latex house paint to protect them from UV. I'd also be curious about algae growth if you are storing fuel for an extended period of time in an opaque container outdoors.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got a 330 gallon tote, used once, manufactured 3 months ago. Will work great for my inside extra storage tank. thanks for all the help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks