• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID of my new deuce

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here ya go:

Organization: 2123RD TRANSPORTATION COMPANY COMBAT HEAVY EQUIPMENT TRANSPORTER (HET)

TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2 NSN:2320000771616
Serial Number:124382 Registration Number:4E8549

Must be a recent purchase from GL. Your mileage should have been around 43603 when you got it. You'll have to talk to David Doyle to get the year of manufacturer and who made it. That info was not in my database. Truck was turned in by the home detachment while the rest of the unit was in the desert.

medlog

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Your truck has one of those unusual serial numbers that could point to one of a number of manufacturers.....if the number above is correct, it was probably built by the Lansing Division of White (aka Reo Motors in about 1961-62. But at this point that doesn't really constitute more than an educated guess -reinforced by the lack of mesh stone guard, headlights mounted on separate plates.

Take a look at the frame rails (either side) under the front fenders and find the VIN embossed therein, and post said number. It could be just forward of the front axle centerline on the driver's side, or just behind the front axle centerline on the other side.

Verify that it matches the number above exactly. (No "M" prefix nor a four digit prefix, such as 0125) sone trucks even have the date of manufacture stamped in the frame rail by the VIN. Confirm or correct the number posted, and I'll start digging through files to try to pin it down for you.

While you're at it, let us know if the right rear engine mount is riveted in place, or bolted.

Regards,
David

kipman

As soon as my euc clears I will pick up and get a chance to look over very carefully, thanks forthe help PS if not a early model deuce that what else could the serial number indicate?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, the dash data plate is an obvious replacemenet - so I am suspect of any information that comes from it. It is far too easy to make a mistake.

An "M" prefix on a VIN is indicative that the truck was built in South Bend, a nine-digit vin is also indicative of a South Bend-built truck. A all-numeric 6-digit VIN is indicative of a Lansing-built truck.

4E Registration numbers with four trailing numbers were used in the early sixties - BUT 4E registration numbers with five trailing digits were used in the late sixties/early 70s.

So you see, a single mistake by whoever entered the info in the system (or on the replacement data plate) could really change things.

Looking up all the possibilities would be very time consuming - so better that you confirm the frame number.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks