• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify This HMMWV's Duty?

Wire Fox

In case anyone wants to take a crack at my HMMWV, here goes! I picked this 1994 M998A1 off of GP. Their original stated location was Crane NSWC, but ultimately it was located on the SW side of Indianapolis on a private holding yard. Inside, I found paperwork indicating that it was in custody of H-Co, 113th Brigade Support Battalion, IN ARNG for some repairs and possibly could have belonged to that unit. Apparently NMC for an inoperable transfer case. Additionally, I found a shipping label that had a small part (power steering bleeder valve) that was addressed to a building in Camp Atterbury, plus I found a waterproof notebook page that had artillery/mortar firing orders with coordinates that land right in Camp Atterbury's ordnance area. Everything with a date on it is circa June 2015.

Now comes the photos.

WP_20170205_17_10_37_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_11_03_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_12_17_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_14_26_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_13_32_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_15_24_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_15_40_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_15_56_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_13_19_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_12_33_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_12_47_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_11_57_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_11_33_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170205_17_11_21_Pro_LI.jpg

Things that are standing out to me on the outside is the insignia that looks like a grenade on the brush guard, the camouflage storage rack brackets (only the ones for the front), the post on the right side of the windshield frame (convoy beacon?), odd hole patterns drilled for antenna mounts (and the fact that they're also drilled out on the sides), grounding lug on the right-rear, bolts with wing nuts on the tail gate, and the filler panel covering a hole where an aux fuel tank filler would be (not sure if this was commonly pre-cut or not). Inside, there's some extra holes on the A-Pillar and B-Pillar that were peculiar... please let me know if you can tell what any of these were for.

In case any of this helps put the pieces together, included inside, but not photographed, was a sling load spreader bar, used to help the lift ropes stay off a shelter; several small parts to include new-in-package aviation panel dimmer lights (probably used on other equipment), NIP AN/PVS-14 control knob, NIP PS bleeder valve; four segments of AS-3900 antennas; a dirty killflash for an Aimpoint Comp M4 (promptly cleaned up and put back into service!); and a bunch of worthless junk and loose bolts. There was also this odd bracket, which looks kind of like the plate from the beacon & siren kit shown in the TM, but I'm not 100% sure...

WP_20170104_21_14_58_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170104_21_14_52_Pro_LI.jpg

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is survey, there should have also been some holes in the bed behind the 2 seater bulkhead where the big azz gps would have been mounted.

Wire Fox

My guess is survey, there should have also been some holes in the bed behind the 2 seater bulkhead where the big azz gps would have been mounted.
I'll double check for that. Any idea of how many or how large? Speaking of that bulkhead, I forgot to mention that mine came with the extended fence on it. I don't know exactly why that would be needed unless as a large cargo barrier, but I thought it was neat that it had it.

Shark Bait, those were my addition. One of the lights was burned out, so I decided to upgrade while HPG still had a sale...

EDIT: HPG had the sale, not Kascar

Last edited:

04mustang

Do you have a photo of the inside of the bed area?
The brackets on the outside of the windshield are for the over head cargo rack. Used to store the commo netting and support pole system.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll double check for that. Any idea of how many or how large? .
If i remeber correctly, there should have been 2 'gps' units, 1 unit would have 'fit' between the seat pockets, another thing would have been it should have had 100 or 200 amp alternator.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bracket ahead of the door in picture 3 is for the electronic inventory system the Army is using now.

Cheers

Wire Fox

Do you have a photo of the inside of the bed area?
The brackets on the outside of the windshield are for the over head cargo rack. Used to store the commo netting and support pole system.
Not yet. Those photos are coming tonight if I survive my cold I have right now. Good confirmation on what I believed those brackets to be.
If i remeber correctly, there should have been 2 'gps' units, 1 unit would have 'fit' between the seat pockets, another thing would have been it should have had 100 or 200 amp alternator.
Mine came with a disconnected, broken, 60A alternator just resting on the bracket. Since it wasn't connected, it's entirely possible that they pulled it to have a good spare on their shelf and just plopped on a broken, old one on there just to quietly get rid of it. My HMMWV was also missing its starter, PCB/EESS/S3, and transmission...a lot of stuff gone for a HMMWV that was NMC for just its transfer case. (but did have a shiny, new AMG 242 and appropriate prop shafts in the back)
H Company or HHC/HQ Company?
It was written on the note, exactly as I wrote it: "H-Co" Here's the full text of the note, with names and T #'s blanked out:
Some Poor Guy in a Maintenance Shop said:
ATTN: C2
This vehicle is NMC for Transfer case inop. A work order will be created, after we do our UTRANS with FMS 10 on 15 June 2015, Thanks
POC:
CW2 ****, Battalion Motor Officer H-CO 113th/C2, Cell: ****
SFC ****, Maint Management NCO H-CO 113th/FMS 10, Cell: ****
CW3 **** FMS shop Chief, Blackberry *****
The bracket ahead of the door in picture 3 is for the electronic inventory system the Army is using now.

Cheers
Again, good confirmation on what I had found on that one. For giggles, I actually have one of those RFID units on order to drop in there. For less than $10 delivered, it seemed like a neat thing to complete the look, if nothing else. If I can successfully interface with it (uses USB...ISO 18000-7 standard) without spending a fortune, it'd be fun to program a stupid message in it to try and have fun with some operator that's supervising a compatible reader. It's a 100M range, so I don't exactly have to drive right up to the gate to get pinged off of one.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Alright, some follow-up details. Got up in the bed and got a few photos. There's a few holes back there I didn't pay attention to before. Smack dab in the center of the bed, there's one hole that's has no threaded insert or anything I can identify. Right beside both rear footwells are two holes with rivnuts, plus a third unthreaded hole right where the bulkhead would be. As well, there's two holes drilled into the side-support beam for both sides (the one known for destroying the leg room for the rear seats-unfortunately not pictured)

Center Bed Highlighted.jpgLeft Bed Highlighted.jpgRight Bed Highlight.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That drain hole could be for the plastic fuel can carrier as it has a drain tube provision? Can't tell if that is the right location for it as I think it depends on the configuration?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, some follow-up details. Got up in the bed and got a few photos. There's a few holes back there I didn't pay attention to before. Smack dab in the center of the bed, there's one hole that's has no threaded insert or anything I can identify. Right beside both rear footwells are two holes with rivnuts, plus a third unthreaded hole right where the bulkhead would be. As well, there's two holes drilled into the side-support beam for both sides (the one known for destroying the leg room for the rear seats-unfortunately not pictured)

View attachment 665847View attachment 665848View attachment 665849
there are 8 holes for floor tie downs on the deck, 2 at the B-beam, 3 at the C-beam and 3 at the D-beam. I can tell you that 90% of the time, the threaded rivnut is gone or will be when you take the 3/4in bolt out.
You will have to reattach them using nuts and bolts

Last edited:

Wire Fox

That drain hole could be for the plastic fuel can carrier as it has a drain tube provision? Can't tell if that is the right location for it as I think it depends on the configuration?
there are 8 holes for floor tie downs on the deck, 2 at the B-beam, 3 at the C-beam and 3 at the D-beam. I can tell you that 90% of the time, the threaded rivnut is gone or will be when you take the 3/4in bolt out.
You will have to reattach them using nuts and bolts
Found out that the "center hole" I was referring to in pic 1 is for-sure meant to be for cargo tie-downs. As well, in picture 2 & 3 that I posted, the front-most holes are also definitely for cargo tie downs; however, the two on each side that still have threaded inserts aren't in the prescribed location for tie-downs that I see in the TM. It very well likely is for some specific kit; however, I haven't yet identified what kits calls for tie-downs/mounting points at those positions. I'll have to grab you guys some pictures of this thing now that I've cleaned it out. I actually did take a picture when I was back there, but my phone decided to not actually save it...

Wire Fox

the holes for the tie down loops are NOT on the raised ridges of the bed.
Right you are. That "middle hole" I had pointed out earlier is for-sure supposed to be a tie-down point. It's in the valley and it's in-line with other tie-downs. So with that other bit in mind, it's looking more like Gunzy was right: I saw the TM sections that show the rear radio rack and it looks like the spacing, positioning, and size is right on the rivnuts as best as I can tell. As well, I've spotted a couple of holes on the left sponsor that I missed originally due to how dirty everything was. I don't recall them looking correct to be a radio mount, but I'll definitely have to go back, get some pictures, and check it twice.

Does anybody have any pictures of one of these rear radio racks installed? I can't seem to find any through a google image search for things like "hmmwv radio rack" "hmmwv communications kit" or "hmmwv rear radio." That would probably go a long way in confirming if this is what I have.