• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition / Glow Plug proplems

Bigdig355

Hello Military Enthusiasts!

I'm a new CUCV owner with an M1008 and an M1009. The blazer has been running fine but all of the sudden the Glow Plug light wont come on thd the engine wont fire. Turns over fine but wont fire. I put a new Glow Plug card in but that didn't work. So I found that the 20 amp ignition fuse was blown. I replaced that and all was fine.
HOWEVER... The fuse blows itself after just one start and needs to be replaced again and again after each starting. And now, the Fan/Blower motor wont work either all of the sudden. Wen the blower switch is turned to the on position, the RED Generation#1 light comes on, though the blower fan doesn't blow. When I turn off the fan the red Gen light goes off - turn the fan swith on , the Red Gen#1 light lights up. This just developed all of the sudden along with the Ignition/Glow Plug problem with no previous warning and I just cant figure it out.

HELP !!!!!!

~~JimmyC~~ C / Cant start my CUCV"

Barrman

A lot of people have added a very true statement to their signature lines. "If it is rubber replace it and if it is electrical, clean it. It sounds like the ground attached to the parking brake pedal could be bad, you could have dirty fuse holders and a wire could be shorting to ground somewhere under the dash.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wiring issue

The truck has had new GP card installed, new GP's, new GP relay,and the Relay was jumped by passing the resistor to the 12v block on the firewall, both Gen's 1 and 2 were working good with both lights functioning correctly. He also has a new Doghead starter switch installed. Both batteries are new/good. It was running good then developed this all of a sudden, so I am thinking that it may be a short somewhere or loose wire...:( Which may take some tracking down to find. What Jim needs is a good idea of where to start looking.

Thanks, David

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will work on the blown fuse first.

Have you added anything to the fusebox since picking up the truck?

That fuse feeds a few things. I'll check the diagrams and give you some ideas where to check.

Please claify which fuse you are replacing. The Engine Control or the Ignition.

Can you run a test? Replace the fuse and turn the key to run. Don't start. Does the fuse blow?

With the fuse replaced, start the engine and leave it running. Does the fuse blow?

Just trying to determine when it is blowing and what might be causing it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skinny

We will work on the blown fuse first.

Have you added anything to the fusebox since picking up the truck?

That fuse feeds a few things. I'll check the diagrams and give you some ideas where to check.

Please claify which fuse you are replacing. The Engine Control or the Ignition.

Can you run a test? Replace the fuse and turn the key to run. Don't start. Does the fuse blow?

With the fuse replaced, start the engine and leave it running. Does the fuse blow?

Just trying to determine when it is blowing and what might be causing it.

I agree, work the blown fuse part first before handling anything else. Blown fuses cause things to back feed in real funky ways. It could be a bad ground causing some of the symptoms but it wouldn't blow a fuse.