• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition switch

Hasdrubal

All of a sudden my kignition cylinder no longer turns far enough to engage the starter. Had to jump starter terminals to get home. I understand there is a rod that passes through steering column and engages ignition switch. I can hear it move, is the ignition switch the white plastic unit on top of column almost at firewall with 2 wires coming out? Looks like I need to disassemble everything to see whats preventing rod from engaging switch, or somethings jamming on cylinder end. Any info on this set-up or how to would be greatly appreciated.

ida34

I think you are seeing the dimmer switch for the headlights. The ignition switch is higher on the column and the rod is in a position that prohibits someone from being able to grab it to start the truck. If you crack open the outer shell of the upper part of the column you would find the rod. Take the column to dash bolts out and let the column drop down a bit and you should see the switch and a small portion of the rod. The switch is adjustable so yours may have come loose enough to keep it from engaging the starter.

Hasdrubal

Dropping the steering Column to access ignition switch, apparently I'm told it goes down so far as to rest on the seat, removed the 2 bolts, still only went down a few inches. Removed the plate on firewall, makes no difference. What gives here? Do I have to remove the 2 bolts on engine compartment side that look like a supporting collar?...or?..........Friend has offered me a rebuilt tilt wheel with intermitent wipers for $70, to make things easier i'll just swap it, yes it was those 2 bolts with suporting collar.