• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm a relatively new member & need some advice

JAD561

I just recently purchased a 1984 m1009. I need some help (or advice)
i have a couple of issues that i will list. My gen #2 light was flashing on & off. I had THE ALTERNATOR replaced. Before replacement, i would have to glow plug the vehicle 2 or 3 times before the light would go off. Today i glow plugged 5 times. The light never did go off, but i was able to start it. Once started, the light remained on for aprox 10 seconds, then went off. (i did get the relay thunking sound) does this sound like it could be a glow plug issue ? I do have one battery that is incorrect. I plan on installing optima batteries, but i do want to adress the starting issue first.

Ken_86gt

Your confusing me, when you turn the key to on all of the lights should be on. The only one that should turn off after a short wait is the "wait" light. The alternator lights should stay on. The alternator should have nothing to do with the wait light. Are you saying that the wait light never goes off? I would verify that you are getting 12V to the glow plugs when the wait light is on.

Last edited:

JAD561

All of the lights do come on, but the wait light never goes out when trying to "heat" the glow plugs. THE LIGHT WAS GOING OUT AFTER 2 OR 3 TIMES. THE # 2 ALTERNATOR WAS NOT PUTTING OUT, SO WE REPLACED IT. SINCE THEN, I CAN NOT GET THE WAIT LIGHT TO GO OUT, AND I HAVE TROUBLE STARTING