• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm back!) New truck - new troubles, please help!

amy1009

So, I really loved my other cucv and I have NO clue what got into me that made me sell it. I know it all happened really fast - and that I've regretted selling it since that fateful day back in April or so. That was a good truck - I put almost 40k miles on it in 5 months - no troubles...which brings me to my new one...
The former owner said that you guys will know this truck and know him - he's also got a deuce. Anyway, he put an electric fuel pump on it, and it has a hard on/off switch that isn't meant for forgetful people like me...so of course - 2nd day of ownership I left the darn switch 'on' and it ran that pump for hours and hours and hours. Surprisingly the battery wasn't dead - but what did I do? I tried to think of what might have happened to it before I started it - convinced myself that the electric fuel pump couldn't get fuel past the injectors as I'm assuming they have a higher opening pressure than the AC Delco pump could put out...or am I not thinking 1982 but 2002?
Did I ruin it?
I started it - it ran ROUGH - I drove it for a few miles after the white smoke cleared (took about 10 minutes) and it seemed okay - Then I had a family emergency and so it sat...for a few weeks. Now - I went to start it and I bet only 5 cylinders are firing if I keep my foot on the pedal - otherwise it shakes the truck like its gonna break it and dies...and smokes like mad...
Do you think I could have damaged the engine somehow? Could it just be a tired 6.2 that was too fragile? I'm thinking - start over - either with a different truck or a new motor sans the electric fuel pump. Any ideas? Thanks!) -Amy

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I

I'm gonna guess it was Chucks truck!

amy1009

I think it was a Mike or a Rick - it came from Ypsilanti, MI. Figures - super straight body like my other one didn't have - and significant rust that my other one didn't have...6 in one...

ida34

I sold mine to a guy in OH and still have to get around to putting in floor panels in my new one. I have seen the one from Ypsi. I bought a front end from a guy in ypsi from the classifieds but I forgot his name and his SS ID.

Amy,
If you need help let me know. I have alot of parts and an engine that should be good. I have not run it but the frame was bent in an accident. I am guessing the truck did not have any running issues but right now it has some missing parts. If you decide to go with another truck talk to Paul (Armada). I think he still has one for sale and he does a great job on them. He is up near the Flint area.

amy1009

Do you guys mean maybe I destroyed the injection pump? I still haven't quite figured out why this guy chose to remove the mechanical pump and install an electric pump...

I've noticed that flood of supposed low-mile engines on ebay - I was thinking of taking a ride over to WI and picking one out. Is it true that lately the army ripped out a lot of 6.2's and put in turbos?

M1075

Great looking M1009. Can you please share some more pics of the antenna and where it is tied down. When up, how tall is the antenna?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I ran an electric pump from a civi 2500 chevy truck on my 1009 for almost 8 years before it finally died. I tapped into an accessory wire on the fuse block so it didn't kick on unless the key was in the on postion. It was a heckofa lot better than a mechanical pump. Especially when it came time to change the fuel filter or a fuel line. I mounted the pump inside the frame close to the fuel tank. That alleviates all of the pinhole-causing-air-in-the-fuel problems and the cool fuel from the tank keeps the pump cool too. I ran a clear plastic inline filter before the pump to protect it. I originally made the swap because the pump push-rod broke in two, of all the weird things.

If anyone wants to make the switch, go to the local parts house and buy yourself a fuel pump block-off plate, an electric pump from a late 80's Chevy diesel truck, a couple feet of marine grade fuel line, some clamps, a couple of barbed fittings for the pump, a 10' spool of 12 gauge wire, 10' or wire loom and a box of GM weather-pack connectors.

ida34

Re: RE: I

M1075 said:
Great looking M1009. Can you please share some more pics of the antenna and where it is tied down. When up, how tall is the antenna?
When I last saw the truck I am pretty sure he had the tie downs running to the brush guard on the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks