• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm going CRAZY

bcrobbins

I can't figure out what the heck is going on! My m1009 will start on the first crank and run forever at idle or when i rev the motor when it is sitting still. But when I take it for a test drive, I take a left out of my driveway, go 200 yards and take a right, go 100 years and take another right, and the engine dies like clockwork EVERYTIME. Same turn. Then it is next to impossible to start back up and I have to get my neighbor, who is still being nice to me after all this, to tow me home I've bled the fuel filter, and taken off the manifold to further inspect the fuel lines, no leak. I took the cover off the IP, clear fuel, took the return line off, glass ball clear. My next idea is to bleed the fuel injectors after I get the top put back together, but if there was air in the injector lines, why would it idle and run so smoothly when sitting still? Any help is appreciated.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel pickup sock inside tank partially clogged?

Just enough suction at idle or rev to run, but higher demand (driving) for fuel leads to starvation?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mentioned bleeding the fuel filters , but have you also changed them ?
As Tinstar mentioned plugged sock or pin holes in the pick-up . How much fuel is in it ?
does it do it with a full tank ?

CUCVLOVER

I'd say clogged tank sock, dirty fuel filter, possible the IP is going down but I'm not sure. Sounds like it's just having trouble with keeping prime. If you have the stock filter base try using a small clear filter in its place as a test. If the truck runs fine and no issues then it's something in the base if it does the same then at least you know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bcrobbins

Thanks guys. To answer your questions. It's a new box filter, new lift pump. The tank is full of fuel.
Cucvlover, I don't know about a small clear filter. Are you talking about doing a spin on mod? if the filter base turns out to be the problem, I plan on doing the mod. I think my plan of attack will be to first crack the injectors to see if that's it, although I don't know why it would idle so smoothly if that were the case. Next I'll drop the tank and check the sock. Is that project a PIA? Any pointers? If those don't fix it, then the filter mod. Does that sound like the right order of operations? Thanks again.

CUCVLOVER

I'm talking about a cheap clear filter like you would use on a atv, Jeep, ect. Just a universal inline filter. It will tell you if your filter box is messed up. You put the little filter in place of the box and that's how you know. I'm not saying drive it to Taiwan with it but a test run if going to let you know.

Madmedic

I'm with "TINSTAR". Had the exact same problem. Eventually, after adding a 2nd in-line filter, exactly like CUCVLOVER suggests, we dropped the tank, flushed it out, completely flushed and replaced the fuel lines. Problem solved. (Fuel sock in tank was absolutely covered in sludge.)

cucvrus

I don't know why people swim around and avoid the inevitable. I pull every tank and clean it inside or replace it. And I buy a new fuel sock. It pays to do everything up front when you buy one of the old CUCV's. It is also a great time to get some new hardware and never-seize it and clean and paint all the parts you have removed. All the filter mods in the world will not fix the pick up point. I do know it ios very hard to get to. But make a day of it and do it right. Or don't do it and keep asking whats wrong. And change a lot of parts that don't need changed. Have a great weekend.

nyoffroad

When it dies is it just instantly shutting off like the key was switched off or does it surge and then die? It's not really clear from the OP. When it dies have you checked for fuel BEFORE cranking it over? Or after? It may be a fuel problem but dying at the same turn seems a little odd, like maybe the IP solenoid is losing power? Before dropping the tank and "upgrading" filters try hot wiring the IP just make sure you use 12volts NOT24v .
All this takes is about 3' of wire and a few minutes of your time.