• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm Lost- Pass. hub got hot and melted plastic 4x4toggle

tristan1775

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? or what could have caused the overheating in the hub/ bearings to melt the plastic 4x4 toggle?

tristan1775

The hub is totally SHOT, and i am willing to bet bearings with how much play there is.... Is there anyone with more mechanical knowledge than I in the greater Houston area who can be bribed with 6pack of your choice, 40 bucks plus parts?

Hal O'Peridol

The hub is totally SHOT, and i am willing to bet bearings with how much play there is.... Is there anyone with more mechanical knowledge than I in the greater Houston area who can be bribed with 6pack of your choice, 40 bucks plus parts?
It is easy enough to do on your own, but it can be messy. Buy a Haynes manual or print out the appropriate manual pages. You don't want to be running back and forth between your truck and your desktop dragging axle grease everywhere. Get a good aftermarket set of locking hubs. Time to jump in and get your hands dirty. Hopefully with that much heat the bearing race isn't stuck to the axle stub, or scored the axle stub.

HillbillyWizard

Good advice from Hal. It's not a bad job and a good chance to get to know your truck. Since you said the hub is shot, I'd look the spindle over carefully for any scoring or major damage. Make sure you clean any metal shavings/dirt off the spindle and any parts you re-use. Since you'll be replacing the hub it makes it easier, that is where junk likes to hide. I assume you have it all apart so you are halfway there! We have all the new and used parts if needed.
-HW

m715mike

I know a really good mobile mechanic in the Houston area. He'll come to you, and he does excellent work. His prices are very reasonable, but it will be more than $40.

Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV Hub Heat

Things I learned on my Steel Soldiers:
The habit of immediately and 'carefully' touching your hubs, rims, rubbers and nuts after any length of drive will tell you how your toys are performing. Feeling heat is bad. Following maintenance at the times and mileage the manufacturer suggests is good.

I still can't get mine to float and I'm certainly not a good mechanic so after doing this

2012 197.jpg

asked my 20 year old son if his fancy internet tablets with the TM's and you tube videos could teach him how to check over the wheel bearings.

I photographed, bought the parts, he did the Removals and Replacements, R&R and pulled the specs, torques and procedure off the net. We cleaned things up, primed and painted the parts, reassembled and keep feeling for heat.

After you take one apart with the support of a pro you'll want to do it again and again.

2012 975.jpg2012 974.jpg2012 976.jpg2012 977.jpg2012 997.jpg2012 993.jpg2012 1002.jpg2012 983.jpg

Attachments

HillbillyWizard

Plowboy, You really got into her, more than just wheel bearings! The pics above are a Dana 60 (M1008 and similar). If working on an M1009 10 bolt front, you'll see different parts but the concepts are the same. Pics are always worth 1000 words!