• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Improved Home Made Throttle Cable 016B

ETN550

Just thought I would share a major upgrade I made regarding the trouble prone throttle cable on the 016B.

The existing cable creeps down or skips when tightened. Inspection revealed that it is a lightweight design.

The existing cable uses only 1 ball bearing in the screw mechanism and uses a small diameter finely stranded cable.

I had a standard PTO cable laying around so I shortened it, made a custom end and mounted it. The advantage is that it uses two opposed bearings so it is much stronger, has a solid wire core and has a friction lock on the rotating hand knob to lock it down.

These PTO cables are around $30+ and 6Ft is about the shortest available. Get one that has a solid core (Push Pull) and a lock knob.

Here is how I made it.

Bought a 3/8" aluminum rod at Home Depot. Cut the rod to the length of the eye on the existing cable. Pounded the end flat on an anvil until the thickness matched the existing eye. Made the eye end round on a belt sander. Drilled the hole in the end for the governor linkage pin. Drilled the center out to match the solid rod cable in the new PTO cable. Cut the PTO cable casing with an air cutoff tool being careful not to cut the core wire. Cut the core wire to length to match the existing cable geometry. Inserted the core wire into the aluminum rod with some Loc Tite and used a boltcutter style cable crimper to crimp it 3 times. (Note the picture shows my experiment with just the rod and 1 crimp which held, so 3 is better, right?)

See pics below. Works great, VERY smooth and precise, and locks solid with the clamping knob at the base!

DSCN2985.jpg

DSCN2986.jpg

DSCN2988.jpg

DSCN2989.jpg

DSCN2992.jpg

DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

DSCN2995.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks