• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Improved safety with an 8x8

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done a bit of searching, but can't find anything on the effect of a front tire blow-out on an 8x8 compared to the, possibly, disastrous effect of a blown front tire on a single front axle truck.
Has the Army done any studies on this (HEMTT, for example)?
My own limited experience comes from the one front tire blow-out during the tow of the xm757, which was virtually unnoticed had I not heard the loud thump, the truck still tracked straight...

Attachments

jasonjc

I had one of my 12.50R20XL's on the front of my deuce blow out going down the road at 50-55. It was not that big of a deal, it still drove ok and I pulled off the road at frist place I could.

Attachments

Crazyguyla

The two places that might have the info you are looking for are:
1. The Army Safety Center, Ft Rucker, Al
2. The Ordance Museam, APG Md/ Ft Lee, Va
3. PS Magazine, Redstone Arsenal, Al
4. Tank and Automotive Command

1 & 2 are probably your best bet. PS Magazine only deals with current inventory equipment. They'll refer you to an outside agency if the info is no longer in their system, i.e. some dusty box in some dusty warehouse.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wrote to "MSG Halfmast" at PS mag and got a reply about the old gasser deuces. You can write, tell them you are a civilian collector with truck type xxx that you drive almost daily etc, and ask if there is any article on this in an old issue of PS.

There is a link there somewhere for contacting PS Mag.

Recall the old M35 outer axle seal leak problem? PS sent me a few attachments on that. When I cleaned up and re-drew the hub picture from one of them so it made more sense, I sent it back and they said thanks. It didn't appear in any issues, but what I am getting at is Halfmast will interact helpfully with you if you write clearly and politely.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one of my 12.50R20XL's on the front of my deuce blow out going down the road at 50-55. It was not that big of a deal, it still drove ok and I pulled off the road at frist place I could.
So Jason, was that tire mounted on a deuce rim with an innertube?
That blow-out looks very different compared to the one I had (pictured above). Mine was tubeless on proper size rim and also a radial tire.
Looks like it let go along the rim...wheel not matched with the tire.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks