• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In line temp gauge.

choll

I just saw an in-line temp gauge by flex-a-lite in the janurary edition of 4 wheel and off road mag page 85. It is installed by cutting the upper hose of the radiator inserting the piece between the cut pieces and using hose clamps on either side of the inserted piece. then a regular off the shelf temp gauge is inserted into the in line temp sensor coupling.

Looks like a good idea anyone ever use one?? The attached pic is from the mag.

Attachments

isaacucv

How does the sensor ground though? Or is there a type that doesn't require being grounded to the chassis? It seems like a good idea.

kassim503

I have used those before with less than glamorous results. They work well reporting temperature for working cooling systems, and show overheating if the radiator/fan combo has an issue, but does not do a good job showing a stuck thermostat.

Also the temps the gauge picks up there varies alot more than your standard in the cyl head sender location, which is kind of cool to watch temps going up on long pulls or lower during wintertime, but its counterproductive to what the gauge is there for, give a rock steady reading and when it strays you know something is wrrrrroooonng.

Opinions may vary, just my 2 cents. They do make great bleeder ports for cars that need coolant bleeding.