• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inch by Inch!

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,Did a little more to the Martyr Machine today.Got the other Knuckle put back on,Super boot installed(USA 6x6),Shield half way installed cause I only bought 4 bolts(Don't know why....I guess I had it in my brain 4 bolts and 4 studs like the drivers side),and kinda screwed up the castle nut when I Beat the Chit out of it with a BFH to knock teh tie rods loose.But it went on with a little Alabama Engineering.Got ANOTHER 4Lbs bucket of grease(Dang,I went a little over board on the drivers side.used about 3 Lbs of grease just on that side!Won't have to worry about Grease for a while!)

acetomatoco

remember that you need not put a lot of grease in the hub... just enough to prevent rusting...honest injun... ACE

acetomatoco

How come the chimp in your pic doesn't have eye and ear protection...?? Us shooters want to know why you are allowing a minority to be subjected to OSHA violations....

FreightTrain

Banned
All the grease I used was on the U joint,inside the knuckle and the a good layer between the Races in the hub(Little less than how much I found when I tore it down.)

acetomatoco

Yup, shouldn't have been more than a few ounces... or when it liquifies you will see it running down on your wheel and tire....fyi....

SierraHotel

If I can get things straitened out, I should be doing at least my driver’s side boot as it is leaking. I was planning on using the non-zippered boots and tearing down the axle as I do not intend to go crazy with off roading. I’ve got a couple questions.
1.Will I need new clamps or are the old ones usually reusable?
2.Should I expect to have to replace the bearings and races or just repack them?
3.I’ve seen several types, some with bolt holes in the flanges. Any different types?
Thanks

houdel

!. The old clamps should work very well, unless they are somehow damaged, which is extremely unlikey.

l2.Can't really comment on the bearings and cups. Unless they have been running rough and noisy, they should be OK. I'd have at least one spare set of inner and outer seals on head, just in case. If need be, the bearings and cups can be obtained at you local auto parts store, either in stock or within 24 hour delivery. The outer cups are part # 3992 for both the inner and outer bearing. The inner cone (raceway or bearing, whichever nomenclature you use) is part #392, the outer cone is # 3994. Any decent auto parts store (except NAPA, which I detest) should have the parts you need in 24 hours or less.

3. Don't understand what part you are talking about. A little elaboration here would help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks