• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Indy recovery 2-17-15

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won my first auction out of Indy last week, got a nice M923A2. I set up my appointment for 2:00 on Tuesday to pick the truck up. The truck center called at 10:00 that morning and said due to the cold weather, they could not get of the trucks to start. Great! They asked me if I wanted to reschedule. Not really, I could not hardly sleep the night before because I was so excited!

SS Member Djones was going to assist me so I called him and he said we will get it one way or the other, even if we have to tow it. We packed up his 5 ton with tools, tow bar, generator, fluids and a couple of torpedo heaters. Away we went to the truck center expecting to be in for a long time of trying to heat the truck up enough to start. To our surprise, when we got there, the guys had it started. They said it had been running an hour.

After signing the paperwork we went out and noticed a couple of tires needed air up so we went to work. We took turns because man does it take a while to air those tires up. We got them aired up, shut the truck off to check the fluids, added some oil and went to start the truck back up. Nothing. We had to jump the truck off Dave’s truck. But it started right away.

The trip home took about an hour but it was a fun drive home. The batteries seemed to get charged up on the way home because I shut it off at home and it started right up two hours later.

Here are some pics from the recovery and a couple from its new home. FYI, I was taking pics while Dave was working.

Thanks for all your help Djones!

Truck1.jpgTruck2.jpgTruck3.jpgTruck4.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good for you, nice truck. Ive recovered four trucks from the Indy Truck Center. Separate your batteries and charge them nice and slow, one at a time. It might save them from an early death if they are not to old.
JC

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cold was it down there anyway?
The day of the recovery started out at 4 degrees I believe. By the time we got there it was around 20. The temp is dropping as the week goes on.

Separate your batteries and charge them nice and slow, one at a time. It might save them from an early death if they are not to old.
I will try that, I have a 24v charger on them now but over night only got me to 50% according to the charger. Maybe separating them would be better.

RodUSMC1962

Go to Harbor Freight and buy two of the $5.99 float chargers. They won`t charge a battery, but they will KEEP it charged. I keep them on all my military vehicles, farm tractor, snow plow truck and never have a problem winter or summer. Put on on each battery. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks