• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inflating tough tire beads

GoHot229

It has been brought up often times, the difficulty of inflating 20" tires on Custom Wheels used as of late for the 'BEEFED' offroad bogger look ie. those 14.00's and 16.00's and what have you. First, be absolutely SURE that you understand the method you will use, no guesswork please. We have pictured below a 'DOUGHNUT' used for 19.5" tubeless truck tires, although by past experience I have employed it on 20" tires satisfactorily. As is self explanatory, you can see how to employ this 'RING' as it is simple in design HOWEVER with the pinching force, squeezing it outward, it can turn it into a missile shooting away from the wheel. STAY OUT OF THE POSSABLE PATH it VERY seldom comes off that way,BUT.... Usually it simply slowly squeezes out as the bead rises and seats, pinched completely out and ends resting on the tire and wheel Another item is the BEAD TANK. It is used to force a HIGH VOLUME of air, instantaniously The entire tank in less than a second, between the tire and rim, essentially blowing the bead outwards, it is aimed closely to the tire/rim and blasted at an angle following the inside surface of the RIM. It is relatively simple and is not dangerous, unlike ether, but will push backward against you as the air escapes out the snout forwards. However may take a couple or possibly several tries, but once mastered, typically just one try will usually succeed.This method using ether is only recommended for those experienced with it. Personally, I would stay away if your a novice, if you want to keep your facial and arm hair. The problem with ether for a novice is knowing how much to spray, how to light, and what to do if there's a mistake. An exploding can of ether....I'd hate to think of the aftermath. This stuff is simple and that's also what makes it so dangerous. It may appear simple but get Cavalier or Complacent with it and the next thing you know something goes wrong, and especially with 'SPLIT RING' wheels, you could be severely hurt or maimed with them, but that's for another discussion completely. Be safe........ and a NOTE: these tools also apply to smaller tire/wheels with the use of the 14-15 and 16" bead rings and inflatable pinch ring used on the tread surface. Of course the valve core should be removed to allow the rapid high volume of air to "shock" the beads 'apart' as it were, rapidly seating the bead and a remote clip-on chuck should always be used.There's a knack to it, but it's easily learned.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

davesgmc

see my responses in black below.

It has been brought up often times, the difficulty of inflating 20" tires on Custom Wheels used as of late for the 'BEEFED' offroad bogger look ie. those 14.00's and 16.00's and what have you. First, be absolutly SURE that you understand the method you will use, no guesswork please. We have pictured below a 'DOUGHNUT' used for 19.5" tubeless truck tires, although by past experiance I have employed it on 20" tires satisfactorily. As is self explanitory, you can see how to employ this 'RING' as it is simple in design HOWEVER with the pinching force, squeezing it outward, it can turn it into a missile shooting away from the wheel. STAY OUT OF THE POSSABLE PATH it VERY seldom comes off that way,BUT.... Usually it simply slowly squeezes out as the bead rises and seats, pinched completly out and ends resting on the tire and wheel Another item is the BEAD TANK. It is used to force a HIGH VOLUME of air, instantaniausly The entire tank in less than a second, between the tire and rim, esentially blowing the bead outwards, it is aimed closely to the tire/rim and blasted at an angle following the inside surface of the RIM. It is relativly simple and is not dangerous, unlike ether, but will push backward against you as the air escapes out the snout forwards. However may take a couple or possably several trys, but once mastered, typicaly just one try will usually suceed.This method using ether is only recomended for those experianced with it. how do we get experience in it with out doing it? you ahve to do it to get experience, right?Personally, I would stay away if your a novice, if you want to keep your facial and arm hair. The problem with ether for a novice is knowing how much to spray, how to light, and what to do if theres a mistake. An exploding can of ether....I'd hate to think of the aftermath. This stuff is simple and thats also what makes it so dangerous. It may apear simple but get Cavalier or Complacent with it and the next thing you know something goes wrong, and especially with 'SPLIT RING' wheels, you could be severly hurt or maimed with them, but thats for another discussion completly. split ring wheels that are tubeless?? most are tube type, so seating a bead is not a problem.Be safe........ and a NOTE: these tools also apply to smaller tire/wheels with the use of the 14-15 and 16" bead rings and inflatable pinch ring used on the tread surface. Ofcourse the valve core should be removed to allow the rapid high volume of air to "shock" the beads 'apart' as it were, the main reason to leave the valve core out of a tire while using either isint to ease th shock of the rapidly expaind air, it should be left out so the super heated air that expanded and got your tire on the bead wont also take it off the bead. when using either it exploded, thats evident. but that explosio of air created a massive amount of heat. that heat will cool very quickly and it contracts. if you leave the valve core out it will suck air IN the tire after its seated. or could suck the tire back off the bead. and you shouldnt have any need to atttach an air hose to it while seating them whith either. i hav eperienced valve stem failure when using either where the center part of the stem, not the core, but the brass part that is molded intot he rubber, comes right apart. using truck tires with metal bolt in stems you ownt have this prolem. as far as explodidng a tire, i am not going to sa it wont happen. i have mounted THOUSANDS of tires in the past 25 years and have NEVER ahd a tire exploded that wasnt an already bad tire. The only two I had exploded did so where they had sidewall damage that was unseen and it ahppened with 30 psi in them. one of them had enough force to knock me back against the wall and render me unconcious for a few minutes.rapidly seating the bead and a remote clip-on chuck should always be used.Theres a knack to it, but it's easily learned.
all in all, if you dont ahve any idea what your doing when workign on tires,,,,DONT DO IT! pay the extra $ and take it to someone tat does. Its not worth the risk of hurting the tire, or yourself. And always be careful! just my 2cents worth

GoHot229

I can appreciate that DAVE, and you make a valid point to consider....Everyone will observe that I speciffically STRESS that any time you work with tires the risk is present....... Again KNOW what you are about to do, prepare, and as with many other things, it is best to have someone around the area in case their is a mishap. I must stress, in my oppinion, it is the one MOST dangerous item on a Duce to work with. ................. Dave, I can barley see the Black at all

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks