• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info search WWII Firefighting trailer

tamangel

a friend responded to my inquiry:

"The Platform that the CLASS 1000 and Class 1020 Trailer Mounted Fire Fighting Pumpers (TMFFP) of WW II were built on was what is shown in the attachment entitled Trailer, 1-Ton, 2W, Cargo. They were built in, the unknown to me, thousands, originally all steel and later in the war with wood bodies. Note that John Deere was not one of the builders. These trailers were used in a variety of ways other than cargo. The basic trailer chassis carried thousands of 250 gallon potable water tanks as well as an unknown number of Hale 500 GPM fire fighting units.

There were two configurations of the CLASS 1000 TMFFP.
1. The trailer wheels and tires were civilian. The drawbar mounted a combination Lunette Eye/Ball Hitch trailer hitch. This unit was built by the thousands, according to some sources, and deployed around US cities and war plants to fight enemy caused fires from aerial attack. These units did not deploy overseas.
2. The trailer wheels and tires were combat configuration. The drawbar had only the Lunette Eye trailer hitch. Each EFFP had 3 CLASS 1000s and each EAFFP had 1. Assuming 250 of these units that I believe to low by at least 50 we talk 300 of these units. Estimating spares and units for Stateside training we may be talking 1000.

Attached are illustrations of both the civilian and overseas versions of the CLASS 1000.

The CLASS 1020, again on the 1- ton 2W trailer, is a mystery in that no one in WW II that I can locate ever heard of, saw or used one. Did find a fellow who used one, did not like it, in Korea. An attachment displays it. Who built the TMFFP portion is unknown as is the make of pump."
James G. Davis, Member and Historian
1204th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon
World War II
World War II Army Engineer Fire Truck Identification Homepage

another site also:
Vehicles of Victory, LLC » Fire Trucks of WWII
Several pic's enclosed also..

Mike W

Attachments

citizensoldier

The one I have was built by John Deere but according to your notes they did not serve overseas.. The picture I posted of one off to the left of Dodge WC was captioned to be somewhere in France? .. I will try and find that site again. Anybody have a TM for one?

poppop

Lane, Rizzo and I both have posted on a John Deere antique site for info. Yours was difinately built by John deere. Maybe we can get some info there. If not. This would be a great thing to send to Mr. Thinker at The Two- Cylinder Magazine and see what he comes up with. I can submit it if you like as I am a member. It may take a while for info and may get published in the Magazine.

tamangel

Last edited:

citizensoldier

Lane, Rizzo and I both have posted on a John Deere antique site for info. Yours was difinately built by John deere. Maybe we can get some info there. If not. This would be a great thing to send to Mr. Thinker at The Two- Cylinder Magazine and see what he comes up with. I can submit it if you like as I am a member. It may take a while for info and may get published in the Magazine.
Poppop.
You can do whatever you like with this info.. Part of the fun is uncovering the history of this old stuff.. I feel the same way you do when I figured out it was made by JD and a WWII piece of history. It would make a good article in either magazine and I nudge David Doyle every chance I get about a military trailer book. We need one bad for reference. My first look at this all I saw was a good pump unit on a old cobbled together trailer, but when I saw the JD on the hubs! Well that was a bonus.
So if you need to give him my info as a contact fine or you run with it under your member status.. Its all good.
Lane

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Deere and Company keeps extensive records - including photos. They've been big helps to me on three of my projects (two MV books and a Deere book).

I bet they can fix you up with info.

Drop me an email (NOT PM) and I'll send you the contact info for the archivist.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Wolf.Dose

Great trailer,
but do not try to ask J.D. for help. They just found out to release the truth about the Sherman transmission production they built in WWII for it was good for the history of the Waterloo works. You can find the evidence in the Grout Museum in Waterloo / IA alongside the story of the Sullivan brothers.
Wolf
I have been there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks