• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

injection pump help!!

powersmoke18

i have a pu-794/g generator i am installing a new fuel pump on and was wondering if anyone knows what degree to set the pump to? it says on the flywheel 16, 20, 22, and 28. that is what we can see thru the inspection hole on the right side of the engine by the oil filter. its has a white 44 hp engine on it. any help would be great!!

PeterD

OK, for the MEP-004 with the 198 Hercules (White) four cylinder diesel:

(1) Remove fuel injector nozzle from No. 1 cylinder.
(2) Turn the engine over until the 20 degree before top dead center (BTDC) mark on the flywheel is lined
up with the timing mark on the flywheel housing, and No. 1 cylinder is on compression stroke.
(3) Remove the timing hole cover on the injection pump and rotate the pump shaft until the timing marks
line up.
NOTE
The pump shaft should never be turned backwards to align internal timing marks.
(4) Install pump on engine and install attaching hardware.
(5) Recheck flywheel timing marks then rotate the fuel pump body until the pump timing marks are
exactly in line. Tighten pump attaching nuts to 35 to 40 ft-lb.
NOTE
After fuel injection pump is installed, rotate engine 180 degrees backwards. Then
rotate engine in correct rotation until 20° BTD timing marks on the flywheel appears in
flywheel timing hole and recheck pump timing marks.
(6) Install pump timing hole cover.
(7) Install fuel Injection lines.
NOTE
New injection pumps received from supply have a high idle adjustment of 1,860 rpm for
60 HZ applications. Installation on 400 HZ generator sets requires resetting the high
idle adjustment screw (29, figure 3-21 ) to 2,250 rpm Adjustment is accomplished using
an engine speed tachometer, with actuator linkage (6, figure 3-20) disconnected, the
shutoff lever (21, figure 3-21 ) in the on-fuel condition, then manually operating the
throttle lever (35, figure 3-21 ) against high idle stop.
NOTE
When replacing the fuel lines, always use new gaskets.
(8 ) Connect throttle linkage and stop control.
(9) Connect fuel supply and return lines.
(10) Replace No. 1 fuel injection nozzle in No. 1 cylinder.
(11) Bleed the air from the fuel system.

Post all information from the engine's data plate, and maybe someone will provide more information--also if it is a 198 is the injection pump on the left (intake) or right (exhaust) side?

powersmoke18

the pump is on the exhaust side!! thanks for all your help!!! she runs good!! now all i need is a fan belt and to see if she makes any juice!!! u wouldnt happen to have the belt part number? napa caint seem to figure it out!! go figure!!

PeterD

There are a couple of different belt configurations. The alternator varied between different configurations, and with that the belt(s) also were changed. Is the belt a standard 1/2" wide one, or a narrower one? If narrower, I've a belt or two that might fit I could give you. If wider (more or less standard width belt) then I've a CarQuest part number that is good.

ETN550

i belive its 1/2 belt groove i gave it to napa to cross reference and they caint find it!!!
Ask Napa, a mower shop, or some garage for an old belt that's plenty long, take it home confirm it is 1/2 and sits on the pully correctly, cut it to length to fit with the alternator or belt adjustment about 1/4 to 1/3 from closest in then take it to NAPA and they can put it on their belt measuring gage and match the size. Should work 1st try, but keep the receipt! If the 1/2 is not right try some "L" series belts. They are a little different vee angle and section then the "A,B,C,D" belts and will ride higher or lower in the pulley. Most pulleys will have the correct belt riding in the pulley so the top of the belt is just above the OD of the pulley, not down in it. If the belt wears quickly or keeps stretching or getting lower in the groove of the pulley then you have the wrong belt series.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is the mep-005 30KW generator the same instructions? and degree's?
IS #1 cyl the one closet to the fan?..
I follow this but set the timing at 16.,..
did not start. I was told the mep-005 is 6 degrees?
Not sure who is right,.,...
thanks!!!!!..
Kevin...in maryland.

PeterD

Is the mep-005 30KW generator the same instructions? and degree's?
IS #1 cyl the one closet to the fan?..
I follow this but set the timing at 16.,..
did not start. I was told the mep-005 is 6 degrees?
Not sure who is right,.,...
thanks!!!!!..
Kevin...in maryland.
Difference between a MEP-004 and a MEP-005 engine is two cylinders more (4-cylinder vs. 6-cylinder.) Same engine basically.

Virtually all engines the cylinder closest to the nose (fan) is #1. (Be careful of Ford V-8's where #1 is on the opposite side from everyone else's #1, but that doesn't apply to this stuff anyway!)

What I'd suggest is grabbing the MEP-005 manuals, the spec is in there. You can download from LOGSA for example, and a couple of guys have some download sites as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks