• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector line woes...

CGarbee

Just wondering...
I had to replace the IP to #6 cylinder high pressure line last Saturday during a 500 mile roundtrip excursion in my '83 M35A2C. Was almost at my destination (ten miles out) when I lost power and the engine started making a woofing noise. When I pulled over and checked I had fuel puring off the injector pump. Found out that the end had broken off the line (the 1/8" or so that sticks out beyond the compression fitting) where it screws into the pump.
I have a complete spare set of lines at the house...
Called my buddy whom I was going to visit and he called a friend of his who let us pull a line off a normally aspirated multifuel on one of his parts truck and I was back on the road with only an hour delay...
Truck ran like a champ the rest of the day and is back home as I type this...

Anyone else run into this? Ideas on how often this happens?
Comments?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Was the line rusted? Ive seen some pretty rusted lines on trucks and some that arent secured properly and vibrate. After time the rust along with the harmonics could probably lead to a line failure.

JDToumanian

When I loosened my lines to bleed air out when I first got the truck running, cyl. #2's flare fitting was stuck in the nut, so that when I turned the nut with the wrench it was trying to twist the metal tube. This fatigues the metal, and can cause rupture or breakage under the incredibly high pressures developed by the injection pump... Maybe this happened to your truck sometime in the past? I replaced that damaged line because I couldn't trust it after it got even slightly twisted. If the lines do not get damaged I would think they would last forever.

Regards,
Jon

CGarbee

The line was not rusted, nor was the big nut frozen to the line... The flair fitting was stuck to the line itself and the piece that broke off did so right accross the bottom of the fitting...
I agree about metal fatique and do wonder if the nut was stuck when somebody else turned a wrench on it. Only time that I have cracked a line on these (this truck and a few others that I have worked upon), I've loosed the line at the injector end...
I think that I'll toss my spare set of lines under the seat, but I'm not sure that they are inherently better than the ones currently on the engine...

devilman96

I noticed on #6 when changing my head gaskets that it was the only line that felt short to me... All of the others had plenty of room to play with but that one I had to get bent back "just so" or it would not reach at all.

Anyone else experiance this? Maybe something to it?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All those little grooved block retainers and coils on the injection lines are there for a reason--they keep things from vibrating in resonance with the running engine and thereby failing due to metal fatigue.

dg

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#3 on mone cut loose about 3 years ago. It sprayed fuel everywhere! I stopped in a parking lot and removed the broken part from the Ip head. Then i drove the furell off the tubing and put it back on the line. I made it home fine but i got a whole new set from TNJMURRY to be safe. They didn't look rusty. Mabye it was from the vibes?

CGarbee

G744 said:
All those little grooved block retainers and coils on the injection lines are there for a reason--they keep things from vibrating in resonance with the running engine and thereby failing due to metal fatigue.

dg
Good point. Mine are all installed...
I've only had this truck for four or five years now and I have no idea of its prior history except that it spent time at Myrtle Beach, SC (it is a USAF truck) before the base was closed...

Massm35a2

Help, I just bought my Deuce from Kansas and drove it home. I got as far as NJ and the lines all started to leak. Spent a day and a half at the TA in Columbia off rt 80. They would not fix it :-( I had to get a tow home 3000 bucks (OUCH) .

Please where can I get these lines and other deuce parts. I also do not have any service books or part numbers. I want to get my new baby running again.

Thanks for any help.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please where can I get these lines and other deuce parts. I also do not have any service books or part numbers. I want to get my new baby running again.

Thanks for any help.
Try the following suppliers:

Memphis Equipment
Saturn Surplus
TNJ Murray
White Owl Truck Parts
ebay (can be very helpful)

Also, regarding the technical manuals, we have a large % of them here, available for download free of charge. Look in the left column under "Technical Manuals" and they're all there.

Good luck and welcome!

houdel

I've seen enough "broken injector line" posts that it seems to be a fairly common problem. I guess it's time to throw a set of injector lines in the "spare parts" box under the companion seat!

rizzo

Massm35a2 said:
Help, I just bought my Deuce from Kansas and drove it home. I got as far as NJ and the lines all started to leak. Spent a day and a half at the TA in Columbia off rt 80. They would not fix it :-( I had to get a tow home 3000 bucks (OUCH) .

Thanks for any help.
NJ to MA? 3000? u got screwed did it take 4 days of driving?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks