• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector pump

Westech

CPL
This has been covered many many times. use the search function on the left of the screen. you will find a ton of good posts with pictures on what to do and not to do. If you will be messing with that pump you really should read up on the manuals. its cheaper to get a new truck then it is to replace the pump most of the time. Its not something you want to play with if you don't know what your doing.

FreightTrain

Banned
Get a pair Pyros,Remove the turbo,Drill the exhaust manifold for the probe,tap,install probes.Reinstall turbo.Wire up Pyros and go for a ride to make sure they work.Now take a couple washers with a hole that will fit over the rod with 2 thin nuts on the front of the FDC.Now cut a slot in said washers the width of the hole.Weld a little tab on each washer and grind both faces flat if there is any weld sticking up.Take a pair pair of Pliers or a thin screw driver and pull the threaded rod out enough to slide a washer behind the nuts.Do this one at a time and test drive till.If done right,this way will make it easy to go back and forth with fuel settings.Running light you can add more shims and watch the pyro if you wanna show off.If you gotta heavy load I would use one shim only since it will build heat under a load much faster and harder.

Westech

CPL
you know....tom. here is the deal. I don't know where you have got a multi pump rebuilt or a NOS one for 250$ I have scored the one in a life time eBay unit but thats far and few between. If you don't know enough to not mess it up I really don't think you will be able to get it back on with out help or paying someone to do it. The point I was TRYING to make was if your not up to speed on the small things like "is there spark plug wires" maybe its not a good idea to hit the pump with tools flying. I am all for helping guys here on any question they have but I also take personal responsibility to educate the newer guys so they don't get in trouble. You have to take small steps not jump in and tare it all up and then what do you have? 14k of scrap in your drive way and thats not ez to move let alone if it takes a dump on the interstate. For how much it cost for our trucks one good F-up will eat up more money then you got it for. And I know that would tick me off.

hot_rod_deuce_2

Steve I am over on the east coast near the space center.

FT thanks for the help I think I may have it but and more advice would be great.

Westech maybe you can help me find my spark plug wires I think the other owner didnt give them to me.

Yes this is my first deuce but I have been twisten wrenches on engines for 30 years.

I just added a turbo to mine and the engine temp is fine I just want to make sure the cylinders are not lean I will put pyro on it FT What is a good temp for the EGT's

FreightTrain

Banned
I keep mine below 1250 preturbo.Aluminum melts at 1225 give or take a couple degrees.The impellers are made out of some Alloy so they can actually take more but aluminum is a strange thing.The closer it gets to melting point the more brittle it becomes.Not like steel.Aluminum will shatter like glass when it is close to melting.

FreightTrain

Banned
OH,you cannot run a diesel lean or rich.Too little fuel and you just have no power.Too much fuel you have lots of heat and TONS of black smoke.You do lose power if you overfuel a diesel too much though.On our Fords(the other group I hang with) you can put so much fuel in there that it smothers the fire out and cools it down so much you go backwards in power.

Westech

CPL
Hot rod: I was not stating you were a "is there plug wires" type of guy. Im just trying to guide you in a good direction. And Ft is right to a point.. you can not run a diesel too lean, but you can over fuel and hydro lock a cylinder. Im not saying Im the worlds expert in military trucks but I have been around the block and done my share. I have been a tech for 14 years and a master ASE for 5 years. I have logged in 10's of thousands of miles in military trucks over the past years driving all over the country and in 10 days I will be a starting to train to be a truck driver for the Army.

Now you stated you added a turbo to your truck. Did you re time the injection pump? Re set the fuel rate? Doing both things will help in fuel consumption and power. Not re timing the injection pump to the turbo settings may cause high combustion chamber temperatures and damage the pistons and the valves if the fuel rate is off or you don't keep a close eye on the pyro.

FT is good on his temps of under 1200* PRE turbo. if you install yours after turbo (like mine) 1000* running hard is ok and I will let it hit 1100* for small sperts. Any higher then that and you can hear the engine laboring.

you can take my advice of leave it, its your choice. Im just trying to insure that all of us get the most out of out trucks for years to come.

hot_rod_deuce_2

FT thanks I will start by adding the pyro and save this post.

Westech I honestly didnt think you were I was just trying to be funny. your first bit of advice was well taken and the second was even more taken. I have another question what is the best manual IYO? I admit that if anyone has anything to offer I listening

Westech

CPL
well the military TM is the same no matter where you get it, but I have the real paper military manuals (about 150 pounds of them) but I use a cd I got off ebay for 9 bucks. I got it from "Chq soft ware on ebay. also check out there web site at www.chqsoftware.com. its like 15k pages of military manuals on the Deuce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we have about every deuce manual that came out in PDF and a bunch that didn't. We have some stuff here available no where else like the 1965 versions of the 209 deuce manuals. Find them online anywhere but here and I'll buy lunch at McDonalds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks