• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

injector pump

REDWOLF

Any one tell me what is all involved in changing the injector pump on my 1985 m1009. i think mine is done with. Got it started saturnday after setting for two years. Drove it home it ran great. But could not get it started sunday to save my life. Pump was going bad before it was parked two years ago. How do i know it is the injector pump, well when i park it there is a pudel of fuel under the truck? Atleast thats what i think how about you ?

REDWOLF

I have the military motor pool manual but it does not say how much you have to take apart to swap the new one in. The chilton manual i looked at does not have the diesel in it .

dstang97

Well If I were you and you plan on keeping the truck. I would take off the injector pump and pull all of the injectors and have everything tested an repaired as needed. That keeps the guess work out of a lot of things. Second sounds like you have an air leak at the lift pump. Do tons of research and you should be able to figure it out.

REDWOLF

Yes i plan on keeping the truck. i have a new injector pump to put on it. Do you think the fuel is coming from the injector pump on the ground or els where. Do you think its is coming from the lift pump. I do not see any fuel on top the motor under the intake where the injector pump is. The leak looks like it is coming from the back side of the motor close to the fire wall. [thumbzup]

Sgt Hulka

Is the fuel puddle under the passenger side or driver's side or right in the middle? My M1009 sat for a long time as well, and when vehicles sit, gaskets and seals dry and shrink. I always recommend do the easy, inexpensive stuff first. The injector pump R&R is a PITA...

REDWOLF

Looks like it is more on the passengers side of the truck. The leak was there before i parked it two years ago. Atleast the pump did not cost me anything and it is new still in the bag with all the red caps on it if i need it?

Sgt Hulka

AHA! I got ten cents and a cup of coffee that says whatever may or may not be going on with your injector pump, the fuel filter and or, the fuel filter base is leaking. Very common. Especially on trucks that have sat. Both are readily available and not terribly expensive... If you've got a new injector pump, hang on to it even if the current one works... or sell it to me someday...

91W350

If it ran good and drained down after being shut down, I would replace the lift pump first. It is behind the lower radiator hose on the passenger's side, just in front of the engine mount. On top of the fuel filter block on the firewall, on the passenger's side of the engine, there is a black plastic screw with a cross on it. Back that screw out and crank the engine over without waiting for the glow plugs to cycle. It should bleed the bulk of the air out, if the pump s working. When you get fuel, tighten it and try to start again. This video will help you a lot, done by a fellow member. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jfVk_d4LI[/media]

REDWOLF

So if anyone can conferm my thinking but it looks like i have to take the intake off and water pump and hoses to get thr injector pump off. So i guess i will need intake gaskets waterpump gasket and a injector pump gasjet ?

skark_burmer

Lift pump replacement; 43254 ac delco

However i prefer to bypass the mechanical lift pump with an electric pump. Makes priming your system sooooo much easier.
Mr Gasket sells a cheapo 7psi pump for about $30 that is perfect for this application. I have one i have been running on my daily driver for about 4 years now.

As far as what is involved with replacing the injector pump:
All accessories need to come off the front, intake removed, cooling crossover removed pipe. I think thats it. Its not overly difficult, just a pain and takes time.

REDWOLF

Thanks for the help i will let you know how i make out as soon as i get some daylight and time to change that lift pump out after i try the bleeding to see if it is pumping:lol:

Sgt Hulka

Well, it's hard to diagnose from a distance. And I'm sorry, but I can't pinpoint where the leak is coming from. Can you identify the fuel filter and base? Can you see fuel dripping from the bottom of it? Or put your hand underneath it and see if there's residual fuel there? I know those units can leak like sieves and I don't know about "draining the whole system, but one heck of a lot of fuel can dump out...

REDWOLF

Well finaly had a nice day to work on m1009. Changed the fuel fillter and primed the sytem just like in the vid above. thanks helped a lot. She started right up no problems. Drove it down to the staition to put some fresh desel in it did not shut it off will i was out for about 10 min. on the way back when i whent to slow down and make a left it shut of but started right back up. So far she will starte everytime i turn the key witch is been every day. The ip pump is leaking like a stream on the left side facing the truck. it is coming from the lever at the bottom where the plumger goes in. does anyone know if that sell can be replaced with the pump in the truck? Hey atleast she starts everytime now. I think the fillter was proble pluged up some from 2 year old disel and not being replaced in a long time. [thumbzup]