• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspection in NY

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took me a month to even get an inspection appointment. No one wanted to inspect my truck. Now the guy is telling me my tires aren't good enough. ??? the thing goes 45 tops.

I need to get inspected ASAP. New tires are not an option right now. Any help? I'm in Albany area

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect every state inspection has a requirement for tires, whether it be date and or condition.
THANKFULLY Dec 31 is the last day a resident of Texas has to get a motor vehicle inspection, can you say more authority for LE to stop you??

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the problem with the tires ?, required thread depth in the regs is 2/32 for light vehicles and 4/32 for HD over 18.000 if memory still serves me LOL !!! or were the tires dry rotted or had side wall cracking? FYI 2/32 is about the thickness of a penny , so you have to be the judge on that . Sidewall checking/cracking is another issue and IMO I would not drive a vehicle if the tires were severely dry rotted as front tire blow out even a low speed vehicle can be bad. Have you looked into a vintage plate or special commercial ?? good luck be safe

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shop I went to was recommended by a friend. The guys were nice but because they didn't know me, it's not worth the $15 fee (set by NYS) to "risk their licence" If they had known me or remembered my friend it would have been different. If there would have been any upside for them they would have done it.

There is weather checking on all the tires. I get it. I'm just trying to use the truck to make the money to get new tires. Maybe I need another plan.

I'm the meantime the guy I bought the truck from is asking the shop that inspected it last in 2014. Hoping they are still in business and will help out.

If I need tires to get an inspection it's gonna jam me up. Not the end of the world, but a wrinkle in the blanket.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I probably should just get new tires. Jeepers maybe this auto repair shop saved my life?

I don't know much about tires. They are holding air just fine, no leaks at all. There looks to be good tread. But they are definitely cracked up.

If I was going faster than 45 I would worry. But Im not so I don't. I planned to replace them initially but now I'm hoping to get what I can out of this set.

I have been driving on the road. Probably 80% of my driving will be on the road and with the hills and mountains here in the NE, average speed probably about 30 mph.

I drove home last night after work. It's 31 miles, takes about an hour and a half, including a halfway pit stop to check differential and portal temps. Lots of traffic lights and stop signs. Who knows maybe I'm playing Russian roulette.

IMG_20240808_093029874_HDR.jpgIMG_20240808_093042840.jpgIMG_20240808_093059972.jpgIMG_20240808_093113876.jpg

Ps for any law enforcement types reading this, everything I say is a fabrication. This is all a big joke, I downloaded all pics I post off the Internet. Nothing is real, in fact I'm an AI generated alternative reality figment of your imagination. I don't actually exist IRL. And I'm still within the 10 day inspection window. 😬

• Haha
Reactions: rtk

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ya , that is some tire checking/cracking alright !!! LOL , stay off the major highways and AWAY from a SP truck enforcement unit , you would get the red windshield tag for sure !!! stay safe , keep driving slow !!!

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright. Saved by the forum. I'm gonna get new tires before I drive another mile.

These aren't the droids you are looking for o_O