• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed new glow plugs and now nothing? HELP

ccf460

I have been having hard start issues when cold. When it does start it runs real rough until it warms. The glow plug circuit was cycling, can hear the solenoid click, and the voltage drops while it clicks. I put a set of new AC delco glow plugs in, and wired the solenoid off the front battery's + terminal to bypass the 24/12 reducer thing. I have 12 volts on the top post of the solenoid, but no clicking and no heating? I also ran a compression check while changing each glow plug. I disconnected the pink wire on the IP so it wouldn't fire off, and also left the wire off of the top of the GP solenoid so no power would be in the glow plugs while I was turning it over during the compression tests. Could I have fried the GP card while doing all of this? What solenoid posts should have what voltage during the normal process? Wondering if the solenoid was damaged somehow during all this? On a positive note all my cylinders were @ 480~500 psi compression, and I just ordered new injectors. It just seems I am going backwards on the gp issue.

allenhillview

There is a lot you can check I only know a few, temp sensor on back of block(driver side), card of course, there is a way to check it as well, mine would be to look at glow plug sticky on top of site page. Otherwise I'm not much help. Check voltage at connector wire at GP itself with key on. Is your wait light on during cycle?

ccf460

I just wired a momentary switch off the blue wire side of the solenoid (along with the wire that was already there). After trying my new switch a few times, the "factory" system started working also. I am thinking my solenoid is either dying or just forgot what it was supposed to be doing. Anyway, now I have a manual backup. It came off a firetruck, it is a toggle with a cool looking flip down red cover to prevent accidental use.

Check fuses...

Does the "WAIT" light come on?

With the key ON, the pink wire (the small terminal) on the GP relay gets 12v.

Pull the controller card, look at it for damage. And while you're under there, turn the key ON and connect the light blue wire to a ground, that should make the GP relay engage.
If it engages, the card is probably bad. If it doesn't engage there's probably something wrong with the GP relay or the connections to it.

pbrstreetgang

I just replaced Glow Plug and truck starts up real nice, but......

No clicking of the relay or electrical system at all. Wait light comes on, but no glow plug noise.

The sound of silence worries me. Glow plug relay, or controller card?

Put them in but did not drive just in case

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just use the TM Troubleshooting section to test the Glowplug system. Short and simple.

ccf460

The manual over ride came after the problem. I think the ac60's wired off of one battery are causing a longer cycle, at a lower amp draw ( according to the gauge), but the system seems to be working.