• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance for NC M35A2 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelpride

Hey, I'm expecting my SF97 some time this month or next and I have looked through the forums about insurance, and I wanted to ask the guys who live in NC who they went to for insurance on there deuce and what were the terms.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not in NC but I've got mine through Farm Bureau. $176 a year for liability and uninsured motorist coverage.

renovate7

I just did a lot of research on insurers. Most carriers, even for antique vehicles, either won't touch these or want to put you in a high $ commercial line because they are over 10K GVW. A few antique insurers would insure but wanted them parked indoors. I'm going with Gulfway Insurers here in Florida. They are very familiar with M35's and quoted me $212 per year for $500K of liability, $100K of uninsured motorist and $5k of medical. 1-800-940-5010 Ask for Carol Smith, she was very helpful.

CGarbee

There are a bunch of insurance companies that are not liscensed for business in NC that offer great rates to folks with historic MV's... Problem is that anything "odd" in North Carolina goes through the State's Reinsurance Fund (administered by the State's Insurance Commisioner...). Nice thing is that the rates for everything are relatively low compared to some other states, rates for antiques are quite low (relatively speaking) with virtually no restictions on use or storage (as long as the policy is piggybacked on a "normal" vehicle). My smaller military vehicles are covered this way under my consumer Nationwide policy so I have my M38, M37, and VW on the same policy.

However, my M35A2C and M817, etc. are too heavy to be carried on my consumer policy and, as mentioned, there is no line in the State's policy for antique large trucks... Therefore, I've got them under a commercial policy underwritten by Nationwide. I am listed as the sole proprietor, have liabilty only, and there is a line in there saying that I am a "colector"... It's running me right at $800/year for all of my large trucks combined.

On a slightly different note, if a large truck is over 25 years in age, you can run TP tags on it instead of weighted tags... Paragraph 8 of the TP application states (paraphrased) that a person who owns a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old is considered to be in the business of collecting those vehicles... It's a $14 tag although they will add an extra $5 if you live in Durham, Orange, or Wake Counties (transit fee).
See:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/MVR16AA.pdf

MDSA

NC Insurance

I have Travelers for everything (except the boat). I pay $240 a year for my Deuce but it is not covered for anything commercial. When I first insured it and my agent found out its weight, he was going to charge commercial rates, but he now understands that the Deuce is for personal use.

Also, Travelers gives my 2 teenage drivers very good rates. After just 2 years of driving experience, my college daughter's insurance came down to the same thing my wife and I pay - $240/car/year. No comp or collision. My oldest son's rates are a lot lower than when he first started driving and when he hits 2 years of driving, he'll probably drop to what we pay. I say probably because he just bought an '89 Camaro IROC Z. He's a responsible young man, but a car like that will tempt anybody. If I drive his car after driving the Deuce, I've got to hit the gas, so I'm sure he'll push it.

Hope this helps,

Brian

houdel

RE: NC Insurance

State Farm offers Collectors/Historic Vehicle/Antique insurance. I pay less than $150/yr for full coverage including collision and comprehensive, which is extraordinarily low for Michigan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks