• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intake and exhaust manifolds off the block. Hints/Tips?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I had to remove the intake and exhuast manifolds today to drill out a faulty and DAM WELL stuck temp sensor. Other that follow the TM, are there any tips/hints/tricks to installing the whole mess back? I got new gaskets coming. Hopefully assembly will go as well as disassembly....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can't put them on one at a time, but you can slide the exhaust manifold on, and as you slide the intake on, you can pull back the exhaust just enough for the intake to slide on.

Use anti-seize on all the studs, as some of them will try to come out with the nut the next time you do this.

If you do end up inadvertantly removing a stud, good luck getting a new one from your Hercules dealer. :roll: I ended up reusing mine.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All but one of my studs stayed in. I got the one stud back in using the 2 nut and tighen it trick. In the engine TM, there is noting about which nuts to tighten down first. I have seen the "make a big spiral starting on the outside and work in from side to side..." on other blocks... Any ideas?

Obviously, no torque wrench is gonna get on the nut, cause there is barely space for the open ended wrench. Just make sure it's tight Im guessing.. Do I need any special lotions or potions for the manifold gasket? I cleaned up all the mating surfaces with a wire wheel to get the old gasket crap off...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Work your way out starting from the inside....think of how you do an intake manifold on a typical V8.....left center first, right center second, them left bolt next to center, etc.

Make it REAL tight, just don't strip the stud or nut.

I don't typically put anything on intake or exhaust manifolds. I didn't on my multi and it has no leaks. Just throw em on dry.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the temp sensor is brass, and should not stick in the hole. Maybe they used some goop on it instead of teflon and it got cooked into glue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks