• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interchangability of M101A3 Hummer Wheels With M101A2 Wheels

storeman

Hi,
I'm a newbie who has been lurking for a while. I am retired Army but am new to buying military surplus. I've recently won a M101A3 with good tires and am waiting for my EUC to clear. Am also waiting for a EUC on a skid-mounted generator.

I would like to bid on another generator which is mounted on a M116A2 trailer. The trailer has a flat tire. My question is can I remove the wheels/tires from the M101A3 when I get it home and take them with me for the next trip and change them out to the generator trailer in order to pull it home 300 miles? I have searched but can't find anything on the interchangeability of the rims.

Also, I've seen posts that say the M116a2 takes Chevy 16x6" rims (8 lug) and others that say 16x6.5. If the bigger A3 wheels won't work, I guess I'll be putting together a spare and trying to get the flat tire replaced before towing home. Info on the rim and tire size would help in assembling a spare.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jerry

Barrman

The A3 or HMMWV rims will bolt right up to the A2 version of the trailer. The tires will even clear everything except the parking brake cables. You will have to lossen the cables in the handles, then unbolt the cable housing. Slide the housing back as far as you can in the clamp holding it to the frame and tighten it back down again. If you keep it twisted just right, it will clear the tires. However, if you adjust the brake handle too much, the housing will just slide forward again and rub the tires. Mine did at least.

Or, you could just loosen the handles, unbolt the housing and zip tie it out of the way for your recovery. that will work fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the trailer you need to go get? Maybe someone here has spare cucv/M101 tires and rims, along the way.

storeman

Hi Doghead,

I like that shot of Elvis. I was stationed at the kasserne in Germany at Bad Nauheim where he served with 3/32 armor battalion. Its closed now, I think. The entire dining facility (mess hall in my days) was dedicated to him and he sent them a lot of memorabilia. Or am I mistaken and that shot is of you in late- 50s/early-60s winter gear?

Thanks for the offer, but I can't give an answer yet.

The location is up in the air at present because there are flats at several locations and I understand we are not supposed to discuss upcoming auctions. I don't want to get chewed out on my first post. Once the event occurs, I'll chime in and maybe ask for help. It would be easier to buy a spare from someone near than to do all that work in the surplus yard and would save time. Thanks again.

Jerry

KsM715

storeman, I bet there are members near your AO that would have the spare wheels and tires you could just take with you and return when you get it home. Like barrman said the wheels you have will fit but will be really close to the frame and if you have the smaller 8lug cucv wheels you wont have to worry about moving your brake cables before you head down the road.

PS, excellent job on the auction posting thing. [thumbzup]

storeman

ksm715,

that is a great thought. i live about 70 miles east of richmond, va in the boonies of mathews county near the ches bay. this is a big mil area for retirees and of course hampton roads and ft eustis are near, so i'm sure there are members around the region. i don't know how to find home AOs of board members but if any are from this area, you offer a painless solution and i'd enjoy making contacts.

assuming i can win the auction and get the euc through in time, i expect to need to pick this up late december. at least i hope so because we go to our retiree love shack in central florida in early january for 3 months. picking up from there is beyond hope.

jerry

derf

If it is your first the EUC will take forever.
You can authorize an agent to pick it up for you.
You might find a member nearby that would be willing to help.

storeman

Derf,

Thanks. I'm hopeful the EUC will work out but may have to ask for help. I did find 2 rims at a local junk yard and two decent lt235/85r/16 tires and managed to get them mounted for $70 each. good price, i think. happy thanksgiving!
jerry