• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intercooling?

Hunter2506

Just curious if anyone has done this with a MF turbo, or if it is even feasible. In the world of cars and light trucks, intercooling can add a sifnificant amount of power-up to 30% without changing components. I just can't help but be curious what it might do for an LDT-465 (if I could figure out where to put it).

Jones

Placement is the big hurdle. Plumbing-in would be a piece of cake what with all the mandrel-bend tubing shapes available.
I asked an outfit that makes custom intercoolers (charge air coolers) about all kinds of things like lag, size required, etc. and the bottom line was to do it with a big enough one to keep from choking off the engine without concern for going "too big". The guy told me that the bigger, the more cooling... and as far as lag went; " that cooler will fill so fast from the turbo output, you'll never notice". It's not like we're turning deuces into nascar contenders.

CCATLETT1984

you mainly want to intercool to compensate for high boost, since higher boost levels raises the temp of the imcoming air alot. the deuces arent by any means a high boost engine, so I'm not sure how noticeable the power gains would be

Katch1

with a cooler air charge you could build more boost safely, as far as egts go, but I don't know how many more ponies you can make before you hurt the motor itself?

Jones

Cooling the inlet air will make it denser and that should make for more complete fuel combustion which in turn will show as lighter throttle for the same amount of power, maybe a little better mileage, and more pulling power in the hills since the engine will think it's still closer to sea level. Not necessarily ground-pounding performance; more like realizing you don't have to downshift like you did or being easier to keep up with traffic. Every little bit helps.
I've got faith in the multi-fuelers being detuned enough by design not to hurt themselves with a minor change like adding an intercooler. I think you'd have to do IP work along with bigger injectors to start seeing harmful changes. EGTs are something to be mindful of on any diesel regardless of modded or not.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MF engines are made for a very wide range of operating temps and several features address the extreme low temp operation, among them the upside down oil canisters to permit heating the oil in the pan and the coolant heated intake manifold.
At warmer ambient temps, the coolant "heated" intake manfold will actually act as a basic intercooler in that it cools the air from the turbo compressor.
I made some measurements last year and the 225°F compressed air right at the compressor adapter was cooled some 20 degrees in the coolant "cooled" intake manifold.
The multifuel engine is not your ordinary diesel and adding features must include some extra considerations.

The circles in the images show the locations of the thermocouple probes. 1/16 inch holes were drilled in the aluminum housings.

Attachments

jwaller

FWIW I am working on an alcohol injection system for the multi's. this will give all the benefits of an inter cooler without all the work(inter cooler systems do add lag and they loose pressure). it will be very easy to install and can be done with simple hand tools. it will have a controller that changes duty cycle based on boost and can be turned off whenever you desire. should add 25-75 hp based on how much you want to turn up the fuel.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The intercooler part. But the acohol injection brings up alot of questions. How hot will it burn and will it melt pistons? I'd also worry about it bringing water with it and making steam in the cylinders. Let us know what happens.

Hunter2506

ken said:
This would be a good one for the beating the daed horse emocon!
You're right. God forbid someone bring up a topic that has been discussed in the past. We wouldn't want that on a message board.

I belong to several forums and if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that certain topics do get brought up a great deal. Something else I've noticed is that no two threads are identical; there is usually new and useful inforamtion that is not in the archived threads.

If people stopped posting new topics on anything that had been discussed in the past, forums would not live very long.

I will simply ask that people do what I and other members do on other message boards; If you see a topic you are bored with or don't want to participate in constructively, simply ignore it.

I find this site to be full of useful information, and I'd bet a lot of other people do too. But snide quips and other rude behavior is a real quick way to turn off new members, which is not conducive to a thriving forum. So please be nice, guys.

:wink:

Jones

As people get their feet on the ground and learn the site they'll look around on their own. 'Til then I try to remember that the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. We weren't all born knowing everything so why not keep the site what it's supposed to be; a good, and fun, place for friends and people of similar interests to get together.
And the nominees for head of the Department of Redundancy Department are... ?

Jimmy

I agree 1 million percent with what Hunter2506 said, good job and very welll written. It seems to me that some members are just waiting to get a jab in for someone asking a question. Isn't that what this site is for, sharing information? It doesn't mean that they are LAZY nor to stupid to do a search but it is one reason that I do not do more post on this site and I am sure other members feel the same way. All you have to do is be NICE!!! if you don't want to answer then don't.

By the way Hunter, I am working on an intercooler system for my 5 ton right now and will post the results when done.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimmy said:
I agree 1 million percent with what Hunter2506 said, good job and very welll written. It seems to me that some members are just waiting to get a jab in for someone asking a question. Isn't that what this site is for, sharing information? It doesn't mean that they are LAZY .....
I was referring to myself. :)
As you may have noticed I responded to the post above.
I too agree that we have to respect every post as new.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I once thought that closing off the flow of coolant to the intake would help. Better yet having a valve. After studying at the manifold it is not that simple. Anyways there is an idea, now we just need to find a way to make it work.

I had another idea last week. While it was for cars the thought has some merit and I'll share it.Some hot rodders block the intake manifold heater (i.e small block Chevy )(I just remove it w/Pontiac RAIV). Why not go one step farther and plumb a vacuum line to that chamber. Add a check valve and it traps the vacuum .Vac is the best insulator known. This would keep the valley heat away(or restrict it) .It would be so simple to do.

For the deuce maybe some application of this, a divider of sorts,maybe using an area sealed with vacuum in it, or perhaps even cold water or cold air pumped in... JimK