• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting boom, M108?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is that boom on top an add-on? I've never seen a 108 with one folded back like that. The axle is chained up underneath. That's not a good sign.

Is yours a gasser or multi-convert Riz?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boom is add on for sure. Great way to bend the shipper. Looks rough but considering the pickings, one may have to pay nearly that for a rough truck. Claims it runs but the gas tank is on the bed. Hmm. Here's a statement you can make on anything you sell that has/had an engine. "Was previously running"

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a statement you can make on anything you sell that has/had an engine. "Was previously running"
FWIW; One local auctioneer I know, always tells the crowd "It ran the last time they used it"!

rizzo

Re: RE: Interesting boom, M108?

steelsoldiers said:
Is that boom on top an add-on? I've never seen a 108 with one folded back like that. The axle is chained up underneath. That's not a good sign.

Is yours a gasser or multi-convert Riz?
gasser now, it runs weak, good enough for the yard. I would like to put a multi in it.

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: RE: Interesting boom, M108?

This guy has tried to sell this truck before. he also keeps trying to sell a deuce with a blown engine in rough shape for $1750. I think he is a consignment seller.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I am intrigued by the window in the hard top. I've previously identified two genuine military variations of the G-742 hard top - is this a third? Anyone else seen one like this?

Regards,
David

Towman2277

I always tell people who come to my impound yard to look at vehicles for sale that are wrecked, when asked "Does it run?" My response is "It made it to the wreck, didn't it!?"

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Interesting boom, M108?

DDoyle said:
I am intrigued by the window in the hard top. I've previously identified two genuine military variations of the G-742 hard top - is this a third? Anyone else seen one like this?

Regards,
David
It's a Memphis Equipment hardtop according to the owner.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Interesting boom, M108?

At least he does have a make an offer button on the page. Chris, if you are looking for one and he sells it cheap enough for you let me know if you need help getting it home. I am not too far away just north of Baltimore with a duece that runs great.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Interesting boom, M108?

�ARMYMAN30YearsPlus� said:
At least he does have a make an offer button on the page. Chris, if you are looking for one and he sells it cheap enough for you let me know if you need help getting it home. I am not too far away just north of Baltimore with a duece that runs great.
Much obliged David. I'll keep y'all posted. It may be way too much project for me at this point.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The extra jib on top of the boom is a Memphis Equipment add-on as well according to the owner. Anyone know what the total production of M108's was? Also were any of them officially converted to multifuel in depot before release from service? What about the M60?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've got the Reo numbers - but not the Studebaker numbers - yet. I've never seen an official reference to a Multifuel powered deuce wrecker.

DD

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an unoffical Multifuel power deuce wrecker. I'm sure David cringes everytime he sees a pic of it. Chris, did you go check it out yet? DD, PM forthcoming with some numbers for your reference.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Recovry4x4 said:
I have an unoffical Multifuel power deuce wrecker. I'm sure David cringes everytime he sees a pic of it.

Nah....not what I woulda done with it...but not my truck! (I am, after all, one of the few who went to a dealer and said "I want to buy a M62 with a R6602 - I don't want a Mack, LDS or Cummins powered wrecker."

DD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks