• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting disaster experience in my M1009

YellowHammer

A tornado just ripped through my town Friday night(APR 10) very close to my house. I, being the helpful type, jumped in the truck and went into an area that had significant damage to see if I could aid anybody that may need help. There was only one police cruiser and 1 firetruck on the scene when I arrived just minutes after the event. Many trees down, power-lines down in the road, broken poles ect... You know, typical scene from an EF-2 tornado.

Well, to make a long story short; there were fortunately only minor injuries and proceeded to make my way back to my home to be with my family since we were without electricity.

At first light, my wife wanted to go out and rubberneck the damage I'd told her about. So we had our neighbor watch our kids while we jumped in the CUCV . Upon our arrival we found many fire-rescue, police, GA Power, and city crews working in the area. We saw a police officer blocking the road and had no intentions of passing through the affected area. But when I approached(intent on turning before I reached the cruiser) the officer walked over and moved two of the cones so I could drive on in. We drove right through the middle of the mess(being sure to stay out of the way of any neccassary personel) and everybody just figured we were "official" because of the vehicle. My wife got a kick out of that.

BTW. A Captian with the Dept. of Public Safety stopped by my house later that day and thanked me for helping out in the initial minutes afterwards. I wasn't looking for recognition, just trying to assist someone who may have needed help. I figured I'd add that for those who try to scold me for unneccassarily going to the scene in a MV. On this occasion, it worked out very well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think and hope that we all would do what you did, it's the right thing to do. If your help wasn't wanted, they would have said so. Any extra help in those situations is usually a relief to the few "organised responders" and appreciated. I know I would appreciate any volunteer that helped my friends or family, in a situation like that.:wink:

dunedigger

I would think and hope that we all would do what you did, it's the right thing to do. If your help wasn't wanted, they would have said so. Any extra help in those situations is usually a relief to the few "organised responders" and appreciated. I know I would appreciate any volunteer that helped my friends or family, in a situation like that.:wink:

x2, well said.

realm

I had a similar experience in a big cummins diesel truck after Katrina. Total devastation on the beach and nothing but humvees really but I guess my truck looked like an aid vehicle because they let us by.

With that said, as long as you aren't saying you are official and willing to help if needed I see nothing wrong with it. I think mainly the officials just want to keep out gawking photographer reporter types.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of you know "Sarge" from his posts and the adventures he and Rory have picking up different vehicles. I'm sure many of you have also read of his Katrina experiences but I think anyone who hasn't read his story needs to. This is a man who thinks of others far more than he thinks of himself. My wife, having read this, said I could only attempt a similar feat if Sarge was leading the way. That's really the only way he does things.

Lone Star MVPA - ('05 Hurricane Katrina Experience)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John's recap if his incident in LA is always captivating no matter how many times I've read it and I've read it a bunch. For John, Yellowhammer and all those that step up, my hat is off to you folks!

Pawnshop

I am amazed at the city folk who just stand around and look without DOING something. A few years ago a small but fierce storm tore through my neighborhood and left a lot of trees down and no power, and almost all of the roads blocked. My first thought after finding out my family and house were OK was that the streets are blocked and I REALLY hope nobody needs an ambulance because they can't get though. I got a tow chain and jumped in my F150, this was BD for me (Before Deuce), and went looking to see what I could do to help. Most of the spots where the road was blocked had people standing around looking at the debris without even attempting to clear the roads! After a bit of small talk I asked each group of them to help me move limbs and always got action but sometimes I had to explain to them WHY the roads needed clearing. One place had a limb too big to move so I asked if anyone had a chainsaw, after some thought a guy remembered that he did have one and went to get it, he came back with a huge Stihl tree saw and protective gear, a full on professional logger rig! Why that dude did not already have it in action before I got there escapes me, but it doesn't matter because it had been sitting so long it would not start. That spot and a place where someones tin roof had come off and was wrapped around the power lines over the road (and arcing) were the only two places I did not get cleared, and as far as I know it wasn't needed for emergency crews. I got asked a few times if I was a firefighter, I assumed it was because they expected first responders to be there but eventually I realized that it was because my truck was red and I was in my normal work attire (Levis, combat boots and a Wallyworld denim shirt). They were all waiting for the authorities to arrive before they would do anything, almost like they were afraid for disturb the evidence at a crime scene.

This all happened before Katrina and I think that in the post-Katrina world people are more pro-active after a disaster, but sometimes I wonder...

Thank you YellowHammer for going to the scene to lend a hand directly after the storm passed. One of the reasons I feel at home here is that I think any and all SS members who are capable would do the same in that situation!

Last edited:

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very well put DH. I have 30 years in Fire/rescue and am a firm believer in mutual aide. Get them started, you can always turn them around if they or other folks are not needed. Just like a fire truck "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks