• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

intermittent low coolant light

flewbyu

Just took delivery of 1984 M1009 with 57000 on clock. Seems to be in good shape with little rust. Will post pictures when camera is charged...Trouble is I have an intermittent low coolant light. Rad is full, as is overflow tank. Heater works great, and no temp light ever. How do I troublshoot/replace sending unit. Searched TM with no results...Thanks for any help!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother has a m1008 and I don't think they have a low coolant or low oil light. They do have a high temp and low oil pressure light but that has nothing to do with the fluid levels. Well, I guess it indirectly does but that's not their purpose.

m4A1

The low coolant light is on the speedometer. I believe the sender unit is on the radiator tanks but I can't remember which side. Just look for wires on the radiator tanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The low coolant light is on the speedometer. I believe the sender unit is on the radiator tanks but I can't remember which side. Just look for wires on the radiator tanks.
Ok, I didn't know it was there. The bulb must be shot on my brother's because I've never seen it light up and the rad. was almost dry when it came from GL.

crusty

I had the same problem with my new 1009. It wasn't any of the things mentioned and didn't cost a thing to fix. On the right side radiator tank, about 2/3 from the bottom is the sender. The plug that connects to it had some corrosion inside it and it was looser than it should have been. I used the shank of a 7/64 drill bit to scrape the inside of the connector and then worked the boot off to wire brush the outside. I then put the drill shank into the socket and squeezed the end to tighten the fit. When the fit is right, the connection will be easier to turn in one direction than the other. After this the function of the light has been great.:-D

ralbelt

Mine did that last nite, on the first long trip I took it on, 2.6 miles, round trip, it came on once for a few seconds now I know exactly where to check it, thanks troops.