• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP, Fuel Pump and leaks

MyAngry85

Hey guys. I'm trying to get to the bottom of a hard start and now a fuel leak problem. Which is more prone to leaking fuel and from where the fuel pump or the injector pump? Is there a way to tell how old the IP is? Maybe soon I'll be able to contribute instead of asking all the time.

Cucvnut

there is really no way to tell. does it hard start when hot or cold ? have you looked at the tm's? they have a trouble shooting section.

MyAngry85

I have the TM's been through them a bunch of times. Can't test the IP using the TM for obvious reasons. It cranks strong but i have to crank it for 5-10 seconds let it sit a few seconds then it fires right up in all temps (20 - 55 deg). It only starts hard after sitting for 4+ hours. I've replaced the Fuel filter assy. and bled the air. electrical works fine. Seems like air getting in the system cant figure out where. Replacing the fuel pump just to eliminate the question of that leaking.

ca1517

Good place to start, after that, you can go through all the rubber fuel hoses. Try under the IP. I had some rats make a nest, and chew a small hole in one of the return lines.

MyAngry85

Anyone ever see breaks in the flare connections on the hard lines? I know it's rare but possible was thinkin of replacing the injector lines but have no clue were to get them prebent.

Hasdrubal

You should be able to trace that fuel leak and discover its source. I just replaced my fuel lift pump again, last pump lasted just over 5 years.

Barrman

If your truck isn't started after sitting 4 hours or more in 20°-50° outside temps. You more than likely have a glow plug issue instead of a fuel issue. The glow plugs should come on anytime the engine is less than 125°. Trouble shoot and test the glow plug system and glow plugs.

What kind of fuel leak do you have and where do you see fuel? Is it running out onto the ground, a few drips, or just a wet area sometimes?

MyAngry85

I've been having this problem for over a month. Two weeks ago I replaced the glow plugs, relay, pulled the card, hard wired a manual button, and checked continuity. Not worried about the glow plugs. Fuel leak was noticeable a couple days ago after sitting 6 hours there was a wet spot about 12" dia. under the front dif.

BobMassive

Good to see another Chicagoan on here! Your not out in the west burbs by any chance are you?

Had a similar hard starting problem but didn't have any visible drip. Had several people recommend pressurizing the fuel tank with an air line to try and force the leak to show itself but never tried it. Personally I installed an electric carter pump instead and replaced every rubber line. Do you notice any wetness under the intake at the IP inlet? That little impossible to reach rubber line was bad on mine.

MyAngry85

Hey cool! No, I'm a south-sider, but I frequent the west burbs quite a bit in the summer.

How would pressurizing the tank show the leaks witht he fuel pump there? I plan on pulling the intake manifold off this weekend and double checking everything. Is there a way or company to test the IP?

BobMassive

Not sure about how well the pressurizing works exactly or if its effective. Without the lift pump on mine its a little different. Any diesel shop. There's an International shop in my area that will rebuild. When you pull it apart check the return check valve. Debris in the valve can indicate a bad pump.

TCUCV

Well as for your starting, I would crank it the first time for 2-3 max then shut it off. After another 3-4 seconds turn it back on to crank again. Just a saftey measure so you don't burn out your starter, although I'm sure it would take a lot more than 5-10 seconds repeatedly to burn it up.

About your fuel leak . . . I just replaced my fuel pump this past weekend b/c it had been leaking on to my front diff since I've owned the vehicle(3-4 months). It still worked but you can tell its the fuel pump if you can see it spraying fuel out the back of it. Also all the bolts will look like their new b/c of the fuel that is cleaning them off...just my $.02 from my experience. Good luck on finding out where its coming from.

ranchhopper

Take a flashlight and check the valley under the intake manifold and see if its wet with fuel when the throttle shaft seals go on the IP it leaks down the valley of the engine to the back and down the bell housing to the ground it almost makes it look like a rear seal is leaking on the engine but its fuel instead.

dependable

If the lift pump (primary fuel pump) is leaking, It will often dump diesel into the crank case though the broken diaphragm. Look for too much oil and diesel smell on dipstick.

Last edited:

Barrman

Yep, looks like your lift pump is the cause of the leak and the hard starting. Cheap to buy, hard to replace because of location.

MyAngry85

There's a good pool of oil in the valley, it's been like that since i got the truck. I cleaned it up last weekend and its back again but i could swear it's oil. where would that come from?

ranchhopper

If its really motor oil you could hav a lot of blowby in the crankcase and its pushing the oil out a leaky hose going to the CDR valve but I would bet its fuel leaking from the IP.

MyAngry85

So yesterday I pulled the intake and the IP. Cleaned everything up real good and put it pack in. Ran the truck I have oil coming from the face of the vacuum pump and fuel from the bottom of the IP by the two set screws and the throttle shaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks