• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP head and injection pump

L7apk

The duece ground to a halt yesterday after visiting a show, at a very busy town centre junction :( .
After some roadside checks I came to the conclusion that it was probably something to do with the injection pump. So I had a buddy tow me home with his truck.
I've had a search through the forum and found quite a bit of useful info, so just before I get stuck into pulling the IP head off, would someone just confirm that I just need to line up the slotted tooth with the arrow before I pull out the IP head. Is There any visible checks I can do on the replacement head to see how worn it is, i'm not familiar with what actually breaks on them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct, and there is no way for us repair/evaluate condition of our Hydraulic Head, replacement is necessary. You can check to see if the lift tappet is moving up and down , it's under the plug on the top center of the head. Sometimes they seize(usually from sitting and not when running though) I did a search for" hydraulic head remove" in the deuce forum and selected"find all terms". Here is a quote posted by Bjorn, that states the simple steps need to remove the HH. Do a search as I described and you may find some other useful posts. Check to be sure your shut off rod is not disconnected and in the "Off" position, under the side cover. Have you determined for sure that you have fuel to the pump and not coming out of it? Good luck

1)Remove the steel lines to the injectors
2) Remove the cover for the fuel cut-off mechanism
3) Remove the fuel cut-off lever (be careful with the "tooth" at the end which is loose)
4) Turn engine over manually until a scored gear tooth (may be marked in red) is lined up with a pointer visible when the fuel cut-off lever is out of the way.
5) Remove all fuel line connections and 4 ea nuts clamping the hydraulic head.
6) Pull hydraulic head straight up, you may have to tap it lightly. Reverse procedure for installation. I just finished working on mine and it's pretty fresh in my mind.

TM 9-2910-226-34

Somemedic

IP rebuilds. How pricey are they? I got my CUCV done for 1100.00 and they pulled and installed it. It hurt and I would have preferred doinig the work but didnt have a garage and it was in themiddle of Jan. So how much for one off of a duece?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure, M35-Tom was waiting for a quote from China for the reproduction heads. Here's the label on an American Bosch hydraulic head, NOS.

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
New heads are about $300-400 bucks from Memphis and other dealers.A full IP is 1200 bucks without install.I will say about the CUCV fuel system....OUCH!I can get a DB2 rebuilt for around 350 and install it myself.Not that hard.Just timing it is the touchy part.You DO NOT line up the timing marks.Those marks were only accurate when the truck was still at the factory and had the original pump.If you really wanna get crazy with timing a CUCV you can get a Lumi-Mag Snap on timing meter.I have the big boy.Full digital.Or you can get a ferret induction adapter.Just clamps onto the #1 fuel line and you clamp a normal timing light to the loop and it creates a pulse for the timing light like a plug wire.

L7apk

Thanks for the replies, guys
ive got a second hand head that i'll put in for now to see if its that,
then i'll try for a new head.

FreightTrain

Banned
That is the wonderful thing about diesels.If it don't run it it ain't getting fuel or you sucked in a buzzard and clogged the intake!Check for fuel at the primary filter,then the secondarys,then check to see if the IP is getting fuel.Never know,might have a clogged fuel system.