• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP leaks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My IP leaks from the input shaft, been dripping for a long time, now with the 819 sitting so long the seal really LEAKS , about what is this going to cost and can anybody give me a cummins p/n, the od/id and any other dimensions need to buy after market, or a after market vendor p/n such as chicago rawhide or skf, ect. this way I can have the seal on hand when I pull the pump.
thanks all

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the "recent past", a couple of people have posted about getting their PT pumps rebuilt, at a cost around $450ish.

I would think you might be able to just buy the parts from a local rebuild shop.

Also consider replacing the rubber drive coupling, if you have it off or all disconnected.

AMGeneral

Sorry Ron,I just saw this post this evening,

It cost me $363 several years ago to get the IP rebuilt on the 816,that included going through the aux governer as well,money well spent in my opinion.

BTW,I used Truck Pro in Charlotte NC,same place that I got to rebuild the IP on my 400 Big Cam 3 in the 915A1.they included a new mounting gasket and spider drive coupling at the above price.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
as much as id like to drop it off at a rebuilder, being that I'm not working and starting RETIREMENT( yes im that old), that is not a option, so its going to get resealed and spider drive for now, i have a wrecker ip on the shelf that needs a rebuild, when i get some cash down the road, that's the ip going to the rebuilder

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There isn't a seal there, just a viton o-ring. If it were a plain 'ol PT pump, I could walk you thru it, bit since it is a VS pump, you should take it somewhere. Find a Cummins shop, not an ADS shop. Just tell them to replace the throttle shaft o-ring. Be firm, if they say the shaft is scored, and the thing comes back down to idle now and doesn't die on decel, tell them to put it back together with a new o-ring.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
its not leaking at the throttle shaft but at the input shaft where the pump is driven, its leaking between the ip and the motor

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OHH :doh: Well, that is 1/2 way to the throttle shaft! In the attached, you will be replacing #8. There are two placed face to face. One stops oil from getting into the pump, the other stops fuel from getting into the oil. The only tricky thing on the VS is working with the two gov weight sets, #32. It is kinda tricky to keep both wt. carriers in the closed position and weasel the cover back onto the body. Thr repair consists of a cover gasket, the two seals, a bolt with a seal sleeve on it and the spider and gasket. Maybe 30 min. labor. When the cover comes off, the complete main shaft and both gov wt assys come out together. Take the wt assys out of the housing, remove the 5/16 capscrew at the drice coupling, use 2 pry bars to pry the drive off, renove the snap ring, #19..it stays on the mainshaft assy...and push the shaft out of the bearing. Replace the seals and put it back together. Done deal! If you like, I can see if we still have any of the gaskets, I know we have the seals and maybe the sealed bolt. Oh yeah, no timing involved in the installation of the wt assys!

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
THANK YOU WILL

will, please see if you have whats needed, seals and all or a p/n for the seals, and the cost, thanks ron

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks