• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IR lights conversion?

Milkman357

Did I read somewhere, somebody had but clear lenses in their IR light housings?
I got my IR lights (thanks CARNAC!) and am wondering if I can mount them and use clear lenses on them, then put IR lenses in when needed......

Or would I be better off just buying some quality HELLA off road lights...

I'm looking for something tuff....takes a lickin and keeps on tickin... If it can be broke with a rock I dont want it.

any :idea:s?

jimm1009

IR lights

The IR lens pops out with three small screws and a retaining ring.
I took mine out and the bulbs were clear sealed beams underneath.
I need to seal the housing rings with some RTV because they leak some rain water in...must be bad o-rings on the housing.

jimm1009

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify- the housings will take either the IR dark lens or a clear one, you can swap them out as Jimm1009 described. The regular bulbs sit behind the outer lens and are the same for both type of light.

The clear/IR lenses are the same in the single and double armour headlights. They are very thick and do a good job protecting the bulbs.

If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I will dig out some of each from the shop and post some pics for you tomorrow.

Cheers

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Dang Milkman, if you wanted clear, those I had more handy and I had the IR lenses.

Don't want to just go without a lense or your bulb will get a hole in it. Also, the lense screws are not made for constantly being screwed (pun intended) with. Better off mounting both clear and IR lenses even though it's more expensive initially, it may save you having to pay for another full light set with a screw breaks off or strips.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures of the inside of one of the twin light housings. These are generic and can be seen on a selection of vehicles including V100s, M60 tanks, and I think old LVTP-7s (now called AAAAAAAAAAV or something..), etc.

IR and clear lenses are seen in all combinations from one IR to all IR/clear. I've seen pictures of early V100s in Vietnam with one IR lens in the left outer housing, and three clear lenses, though most had four clear.

The lenses are the same as single light housings.

The B/O driving light shroud on this one is cracked.

Cheers

Pic 5 shows just the IR lens, front to the top.
Pic 6 shows the clear lens in its rubber ring, from the back (not a good shot, sorry).
Pic 7 & 8 show comparison of double and single housings, and the inside of the single. The single housing doesn't use the rubber ring on the lens.

Attachments

Last edited:

simoncrk

Milkman
I called KC Hilites and they built 24 V lights for my duece. its on the new post board with pics. look at "finally finished my M35A2 conversion....... ive got IR lites to put on the bumper but havent done it yet.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the pictures of the single light housing, but forgot to post them.
Doh! :doh:

They are now attached to my post above.

Cheers

avengeusa

Where do we get replacement bulbs for the single light housings?

I need 4, they can all be 12 volt, or 2 12v units and 2 24 volt units, mine are all broken, it seems the bulbs like to rattle around in the housings......

I am going to find a way to make them more stable, as well as seal them better, mine also had a ton of water in them

I was going to mount them under the headlights, but the ds one would be covered when i add a vise to the plate on top of the bumper

Last edited:

avengeusa

I got the lights mounted on the truck, and found good bulbs for them, now i am ready to rock after i get the wiring done

PS.....

where do i get the cannon plugs for those lights.......

i need the female ends

Attachments

Last edited: