• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iraq 2006 Heavy Armor Buses

LeoUSA

Attached are 2 photos taken in the Iraq Green Zone in 2006. The Black Bus and other Black Buses were used at night.I Don't know what category the buses would be classified but they could technically be Armored Personnel Carriers.Iraq 2006 Armored Bus a.jpgIraq 2006 Armored Bus b.jpg

Gudge2

They called them "Rhinos". Slow, sluggish and couldn't get out of their own way. Were designed to protect passengers from schrapnel from indirect (mortar and rocket) fire. I can recall one incident where a Rhino did what it was supposed to do. I think they were also supposed to deflect RPG fire. Not sure that worked. Mainly went from the IZ (Embassy area) to Camp Victory...a few mile run.

Bradyrw625

It's a Rhino Runner. They were used to transport personnel from the Green Zone to Baghdad International Airport. Mostly utilized by Department of State and some US military. Route Irish (the road that leads from the airport to the green zone) was pretty dangerous for a few years. They were super slow and took some time to get up to a reasonable speed. There are still a few around. They do a outstanding job of surviving a IED blast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks