• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it possible? M1008 to M1031 Maint Truck

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
What is the difference between the suspensions or frames of a M1008 and a maintenance truck?

Is it possible to take the bed off of a M1008 and then replace it with a maintenance body?

What major components will need changed out?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very possible and easy. Running the genset could be a different problem. Do you have a 1031 or 887 bed?

Crash_AF

You would have to swap to the NP205 transfer case with the PTO output to run a M1031 Contact Maintenance truck body. If you find an M887 Contact Maintenance truck body, it has a self contained genset built into it and doesn't require the PTO drive from the truck.

Later,
Joe

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is my 1031 a heavier version than the 1008? Sorry I am really far away from it and can not wait to get home and load it up with tools and some guns.

I am really thinking about making a cannon when I get home too from the M1919A1 page I got really inspired by guys launching bowling balls. Only reason I mention that here is it will be the first project for the M1031 when it gets fitted out.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
the frames are the exact same.

only the suspension of the rear and the transfercase are different.

Thanks to all so far, I knew about the transfer case.

What are the suspension components I need to look at? Actually, I think I'll just pull the whole rear axle.

I hope this is fairly easy cause a mechanic I ain't. Just like Oddball said "Hey, I just ride in them, I don't fix them.".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Springpack will be the only difference. Rear axle is the same. I'd bolt it on as is and see where you are. Unless you really plan on loading it up, prolly won't need to upgrade springs. Did you ever say if it was a 1031 or 887 body? Mods need to be made to the 887 body for it to fit.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Definately a 1031.

I'll try to compare the undersides reference the leaf springs.

I think the generator, welder, and compressor are pulled. I may try to re-add them in the future IF I can find them and IF I can afford them. I gotta learn to weld, I already have a compressor, but the generator would be useful.

If I have to have something from the front end, that might be an issue. The entire front is a loss from the pass side fire wall to drivers side almost to the fire wall. No info or story on it.

OLDCHEV4X4

If I have to have something from the front end, that might be an issue. The entire front is a loss from the pass side fire wall to drivers side almost to the fire wall. No info or story on it.[/QUOTE

Whats the matter with it? Or are you just going by a lot description.

dependable

There are holes in the frame that will take the the spring rests for the helper spring. (the main suspension difference between the 1008 and 1028. ) Have never owned a 1031 but suspect it is simeilar underneath to 1028. The helper springs not only bear some weight,, the extra contact points stabilize the truck under load. I added helpers to a 1008 years ago, duel wheels and a 1-3 yard dump body. This truck is a daily driver/work truck . I used grade 8 bolts for spring rests.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are holes in the frame that will take the the spring rests for the helper spring. (the main suspension difference between the 1008 and 1028. ) Have never owned a 1031 but suspect it is simeilar underneath to 1028. The helper springs not only bear some weight,, the extra contact points stabilize the truck under load. I added helpers to a 1008 years ago, duel wheels and a 1-3 yard dump body. This truck is a daily driver/work truck . I used grade 8 bolts for spring rests.
Yes there are holes in the frame for helpers. I also used the high grade bolts for the spring rests. My 83 K30 dually sits on a M1010 frame, relatively easy swap.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I scoured the TM's for several hours looking for info like this and must have missed the info on the helpers. Guess I'll have to go back through.

Anyone know the TM # for the maintenance truck? The M1031 chassis is covered in the standard TM's (kinda) but does not have the info on the body and accessories.

Don't have any photos right now but as time comes for me to do this, I'll have to take and post some.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I scoured the TM's for several hours looking for info like this and must have missed the info on the helpers. Guess I'll have to go back through.

Anyone know the TM # for the maintenance truck? The M1031 chassis is covered in the standard TM's (kinda) but does not have the info on the body and accessories.

Don't have any photos right now but as time comes for me to do this, I'll have to take and post some.
See figure 151 of the -34P for the overload springs. The main spring pack is the same, but the other hardware (U-bolts, spacer plates, etc.) are different. If you take the entire rear and spring pack and grind the rivets off the frame mounted overload spring pads and take them, you'll have everything.

The TM is restricted for the Contact Maintenance truck, but I think someone on here has a PDF copy.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have the book but it is still restricted and I am waiting on JAG to give me a ruling on it. I does cover the truck in great detail and goes into the PTO and auto kick up system as well as the charging system of the 12KW generator and panel. I have it on CD waiting to send to many folks here who asked for it but I can not send it risking my career of 33 years.

dependable

If the manuals let you down, look at a 1028 or any k-30 duel wheel from around 1973 to 1988. check position of spring rests, also note spring pack ; there was a single and a 4 leaf helper available. Find an old junker and have rests cut off with torch. Bolt them on. Any spring shop can sell you the the helper of your choice plus spacers u,bolts ect. Hope this helps.