• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it possible to add a pto to a 1983 m35azc which was build

KC8UVU

we purchased a 1983 m35a2c a few weeks ago and are in the process of converting the drop side bed to a dumping dropside, we tryed to use a 1hp, 115v electric motor with a 5:1 planetary reducer, but it wasn't even strong enough to lift the bed empty [:(!] !
we had toyed with the idea of using a beltdriven hydraulic clutch pump, but we know it'll be a beast to fit it. is there any way to add a pto transfer case to the m35a2c with the white "whisteler"? if so, how painful would it be to install?

thankyou for your help,
KC8UVU
(Jon)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add a pto to the T-case you'll need a new T-case from a pipeline truck M-756A2. If your truck doesen't have a winch, then you can install one on the transmission.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You bet you can do it. The biggest pain is the cost of it. Start calling dealers. I know Army Surplus of Dodge City sells em for $750. You need more than just the PTO. There is a steel lube line that you need as well. It pumps lube up from the bottom of the transfer case for oiling. Also need the conplete linkage for the inside of the cab. Other than that, pretty simple. Remove the bolts and cover off the back ot the t-case, add the dog clutch gear and bolt the PTO in place. You HAVE to have that lube line or you'll fry the transfer case. Tanker trucks, pipeline trucks, polesetters and the wreckers all had them. So did the V17A/MTQ but you usually don;t find them.

mangus580

You can put a PTO on a truck that has a winch too.... Mine had a winch, and now has the rear PTO. Works like a charm. It will be alot cheaper than the transfer case setup I think. The linkage was pretty easy to make a home made one for as well. Could probably get pics if needed.

rdixiemiller

The transmission PTO would be the best bet. You can go find some old mechanic who works on old dump trucks and he can help find one that fits. You will only need a single speed PTO, that makes things easier. Mount your hydraulic pump near the PTO, run a drive shaft to it, and hook up the hoses. The transfer case PTO is costly, and not that common. The engagement lever and linkage will be fairly simple.

mangus580

I might even have one that would work. Does anyone know how I can check aside from having a tranny to mate it to? I certainly am not going to pull mine off...

rdixiemiller

One of the old PTO companies used to have an interchange chart, I had one back in the '70's. It listed the tranny numbers, then listed which PTO would fit. That allowed you to see if a Chevy 4 speed PTO would fit an IHC 5 speed, etc. I cannot for the life of me recall which company had the chart, old age kicking in again.
Does your hydraulic pump have 1 or 2 input shafts? Most I ever had were the 2 shaft variety, allowed you to use any PTO to provide power to the pump, whether it was CW or CCW rotation.

mangus580

That was how the pump was setup on my hoist. The PTO I have that may fit, I am not sure will mesh with the gears in the deuce tranny....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks