• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it possible to remove front brake drum without hub?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to check the front brake cylinders and brake shoes. Is it possible to remove the front brake drum without the hub or do you always take of the entire hub as per TM ..20? Sounds like overkill to me because you start messing with the bearing automatically, which I always try to avoid. I tried to loosen the bolts securing the drum but could get no movement in the drum, which should at least come forward a bit. Any trick there?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have to pull the entire hub. The attach through bolts are just spinning inside the hub. Follow the manual. Bearings need a fresh lube anyways.
JC

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't tell me. I have the bolts securing the hub to the flange free but cannot get a hold on the drum. It looks that is should be able to just move over the hub flange holding the tire nuts as well.

crasheej

It can be done but you need hole drilled and tapped to get drum off. Just do the way the TM says. Will save you time and do fresh lube to the bearings.