• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the Deuce for me?

JSGAuto

Hi Everyone,

Great site! Been reading up on these machines, and trying to decide if the deuce is for me.

Primary use (besides being a cool toy) would be to tow my race car. 18' trailer, 6K lbs or so, well within the towing range.

I currently am using a high miles Chevy Tahoe. It is a great tough truck, but also not mine, and I have chewed through 2 trans' in as many years. Bottom line, its just not designed for heavy towing.

I really can't justify spending the cash on a regular truck (F250 at least), due to the cost, gas miles, besides towing the car I wouldn't use it, ect.

Currently do 5 racing events a year, the track is 250miles away.

So.......

Comforts......of the Deuce, yes, I hear its rough, I think with the muffler, carpeting and decent seats I will be happy (AC doesn't work in the Tahoe now anyway).

MPG....seem to be as good as the tahoe (8-9, Don't tow in Overdrive!)

Maintaining....I am mechanically inclined.

The Speed is the only thing that really bothers me. Right now I am doing 70mph, slowing to 50mph on the hills......could the Deuce do somewhere reasionable near this?

Could I be confident in traving 250miles (each way) with one of these? (Assuming decent shape, properly maintained)

I guess I am interested in one because they are cool (I have interest in Millitary Hardware) and it can work for me.

Also, I read the other threads reguarding other people using them as dedicated tow trucks, was curious though to hear your opinions for my particular situation.

Thanks
Jim

SixSpeed

Banned
Hi Everyone,

Great site! Been reading up on these machines, and trying to decide if the deuce is for me.

Thanks
Jim
I'm no deuce expert...but I have experience with them.

Speed - You certainly won't get near what you are doing now, not on flat ground at least. I believe the cruising speeds are around 53 or so. They are gear limited to...maybe 60?

As far a reliability, I would imagine they are very good. My friends trucks never seem to have the little problems all old vehicles seem to have. They were designed to be tough, they are workhorses. A properly maintained one would go and go and go.

I'm sure others will chime in.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Taller tires (you can go up to 12.5 radials) will give you better road speed.

You can turn the engine up (add pyrometers) for more power.

You will need some kind of adaptor if you want to use electric trailer brakes (recommended) unless you adapt a military trailer to pull the race car.

There is not a lot to do to make it more comfortable....maybe add a muffler and sound deadning.

No power steering makes manuvering a booger, especially with a trailer.

But they will pull anything you put behind them.

Depending on weight of the trailer you might consider a bob deuce (less weight, better turning radius) with a gooseneck setup.

Just my two cents worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks