• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this how a Spicer 3053A works?

HDN

Inspired by a recent thread about a concerning drivetrain noise at 3rd gear and higher, I took a hard look at a diagram out of the maintenance TM for the Spicer 3053A. I am by no means a transmission expert, so this has been a bit of a learning experience. Whoever designed the very first shifting gearboxes was a freakin' genius o_O

Anyway, I wanted to create some kind of transmission power flow diagram. I saw such a diagram in a shop manual I had for the Ford 1801 industrial tractor with the Select-O-Speed semi-automatic transmission. So for those who are more familiar with this Spicer unit and transmissions in general, did I get this right?

1st gear.jpg 2nd gear.jpg 3rd gear.jpg 4th gear.jpg 5th gear.jpg Reverse gear.jpg

Diagram taken from TM9-2520-246-34-1 pg. 2-4.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... did I get this right?
99% correct..... ;-)
In your last diagram (R), it's the large gear on the mainshaft that moves back and forth, between 1st, N and Rev., so the arrow should be on the upper gear. (I know, that original drawing can be a bit confusing...)

The powerflow for all positions can be found in the -34 TM, Fig. 3-12. While the drawing is correct for the 3053, it actually shows the different speeds for the 3052 (5th-direct).
I just edited that page for it to be accurate for the OD transmission.

1725330070015.png