• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It all started with an IronPlanetPurchase

6X6DT466ECrew

View attachment 813377
At 55 I’ve been a life long off road, over the road and heavy hauling fan and enthusiast since visiting a strip mining operation in Ohio in the mid 70’s to witness The Gem of Egypt dragline shovel in action.

I was taught mechanics by one grandfather and ‘building with my hands’ by the other grandfather. Built a lot of go fast cars but never the usual platforms. Had to be different. Unsuspecting. Unique.

My schooling took me to architecture and design but with a camera always in my hand I found myself drawn to raw steel, dirt, soil, rocks and water. This morphed to pointing my lens at heavy construction, industrial demolition and all the ‘heavy wrecking apparatus’ and attachments: cranes, excavators, grapples, shears, heavy haul over the road trucking and all the personalities of builders, wreckers and burners. Spent 7 years photographing The Big Dig in Boston.
Then I discovered Stewart&Stevenson, Unimog, AmGeneral, 6x6, 8x8.

About a year ago I started to gather parts and pieces to build my own version of what’s ‘out there’ , but on a budget. It all started with a visit to Iron Planet where I procured a 1997 International 4600 Crew Cab for $750. Then I stumbled upon a 5 ton 6x6 Frame with axles on FB Marketplace which I ‘traded’ for all my mothballed muscle car parts. Bought a DT466E with an Allison Automatic with all wiring, computers and gauges for $2500, also on FB Marketplace. Then I returned to Iron Planet for a matching set of wheels and tires as well as an MRAP spare tire carrier.

Thanks for the add. It been a long time since I’ve been on a forum. Looking forward to getting to know what I’ve gotten myself into.

Last edited:

6X6DT466ECrew

So due to other projects and a lot of rain and the uncertainty of the world, I'm way behind schedule.
Been building a base for a 20 x 13 x 12 Garage in a Box from Northern Tool and just got the frame in place when we were hit with the remnants of Hurricane Zeta. All my wood from the barn I dismantled this fall is going in there, which will free up a lot of space in my driveway.
The plan is to pour a 10 ' x 10 ' concrete pad in the driveway and get the rear box and the 6x6 chassis, with the cab already on it to my house.
I'm debating whether I want to connect two more Garage in Box kits and join them together OR stick building a frame around the truck and wrapping it in the white boat wrap and heat shrinking it. A guy in my town has his commercial fishing boat in his driveway with a 20 ft wide by 60 ft long by 35 ft high temporary enclosure (its been there now for 3 months) built out of 2x4x10's and shrink wrapped.