• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It Started!

Yeah!
My bad, when I put the new battery clamps on, and then bolted the cables with the new lug ends to them, I put the star washer between the lugs and the clamps. Shows what you get hurrying to get to work.
That was a serious "DUH" moment.

appalacious

Still haven't gotten mine to start.
Here's a question- whats the approx speed of a good starter? Is it similar to the gas version of the civvy chevy? Mine seems to be going about half as fast as that.
J

appalacious

yeah, the gasser trucks have a distinct pitch to them, but mines not anywhere close to that. I've got them charging now (I wonder if its ok to charge them in parallel?) So hopefully they'll start tonight. I wonder if I should get some ether.

J

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
DOH!!! You said the dreaded word appalacious...ether!!!!

It never gets cold enough here in GA to use ether if all else is good.

Charge the batts, change the starter, do anything but get that jewel addicted to ether!!

I know on mine the battery clamps / terminals were all cracked and corroded. I bought four of the Hum -Vee clamps off of ebay and put lug ends on each of the cables. Check your terminals for issues, and where they connect to the bus bars and the starter etc.

jw4x4

2cents Use starting fluid ONLY as a last resort. Fully functioning glow plugs and strong batteries are the way to go, especially if you're in it for the long run.

BobM

A diesel starter should spin faster than a gasser IMHO. And the slower the starter, the harder it starts in my experience. I had a 'burb diesel that gave me fits when I first got it. After I got a GOOD starter in it I never had problems in several years of use. Of course it was the SECOND lifetime NAPA starter that was the GOOD one!:-D