• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its Alive! Its Alive!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just hate to invest anything in that engine. On the other hand, I have more time than money. Once the head is on the ground, I can tap the valve loose or use a little heat. As much as I don't want to keep the gas motor, I probably will pull the head and get the thing running. Heck, I might be surprised by the way it runs and keep it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a "what if" question. If you had known that the engine had been sitting for years and years and might possibly not turn over, what would you have done and what would you suggets now for others to do when in that situatiion?

As a side note, I think it may be far quicker to get the crane going by fixing the gasser than getting a multi installed with all the features that you will need. How about the governor? You will need an aux governor for the IP, don't forget.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Bjorn, I have no idea what I could have done to prevent it. Maybe nothing short of pulling the head. As far as speed of operation, pulling the head might be the quickest way to get the crane operational again. Now the governor issue. The gassers have a limiter attached to the PTO that once you pull the throttle out it limits the RPM to 1700. My truck has a non original carb so no limiter. Why can't I just adjust the throttle to a certain RPM and deal with the speed changes as loads change? The multifuels don't have a PTO controlled governor do they? I would rather sneak up on the M/F swap then rush into it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multies sure do have a governor to control the speed for varying loads. It's called an auxiliary governor and mine has it (from the tanker variant). Don't know how the engine would respond without it if you were lifting a 4,000 lb load. Try it on your tractor, set the "throttle" to 1,200 rpm and load it down by holding the brakes on it, say in fourth gear.
Noticed that my k-boom has almost the exact same ratings yours does.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on the 65 -20 again. Hope I get this one. Also might have another 8022 on the way. As it looks right now, I'll probably pull the head off the OA and work on it from there. Doubt that I'll put a bunch money into it but at least get the valves out and cleaned up and maybe lap them before the reintall.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on getting the 1965 version of the TM 9-2320-209-10 actually. I forgot, I alredy have the same -20

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the 331 turns. Think I figured out the problem. No oil pressure. The truck has a mechanical gauge. I recall looking at the rocker shaft through the oil fill cap yesterday thinking it looked dry. What the heck, since it has no plugs I cranked on it today for a good while. The gauge never even bobbled. Oh well, swap, here we come!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
kenny, that sucks.

bjon, on my 819 , the -10 says just to set the hand throttle to 1250-in 4th or 5th , theres no extra gov., what that looks like is a auto. hand throttle to set the rpm when the pto is put in gear instead of the hand thottle in the dash , this way different fluid pumps cant be over reved by accindent

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
bjorn,
i guess thats what thay call that throttle control you showed in the earlier post, i see how it would work, very interesting , thank you, ron

rdixiemiller

All
When start in a gasser that has been sitting for years...
Mix up 5 gallons of gas with a can of outboard motor oil. 16:1 is the mix you want. Run that through. Clean the plugs. Run a batch of 32:1. Clean plugs. Now, go to 1 can per tank for a while. The OB oil will lube rings, valves, etc. Marvel mystery oil works as well. If you know you are not going to run an engine for a long time, crank it up cold. Let it run just long enough to run with no choke. Start pouring ATF through the carburator. The motor will start to smoke like a tar kettle. After 30 seconds, pour the ATF in fast enough that the engine sputters to a stop. Seal the carb with a plastic bag. Your motor can now sit several years with no problems. To re-start, pull the plugs and clean them. Spin the motor over to blow out any residual oil. Start up with OB oil in the gas.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I know. Meanwhile back at the ranch, valves are fused to the head, engine seems to have no oil pressure and I'm trying to figure out a way to pay for and get a truck from Mongomery AL to Loxahatchee FL so that I can repower my crane. If the darn thing just had oil pressure, I'd pop the head off. Maybe I'll try another mechanical gauge!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks