• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's not white anymore! well 1/2 of it isn't

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backed the free white M105 into the driveway, did some greasing, straightened the landing gear, fixed some bends in the rail and washed it...yeah, i washed it with soap. There were a ton of pine cone pieces parts in the stake pockets! Gave it...well 2/3s of it any way...a dousing of paint. Looks much better. I'll finish it tomorrow due to the late afternoon breeze that comes up here. I was actually able to save the lights. The B/outs were painted over with hard automotive paint. I think they came out OK. The 24vdc bulbs are still in it, cool! After some light sanding, found that it's a USMC trailer. The ID was, USMC 347201. The s/n of the trailer is nowhere near that number and on all the tags, that number is nowhere to be seen. Is that an assigned equipment number?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: It

Nice work Will, almost makes me want to start painting my trucks! Well, not this week.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Looks good Will. I just answered my last question on a different thread...you did put some paint on the white trailer.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

HA! Rick Larsen don't got JACK on me! I'll bet it doesn't take HIM 2 hours to make number stencils 8)
This trailer is in pretty good shape. I figure i'd do this one up a bit that way if the one from DRMO, Barstow is a rust bucket, I have a good trailer. The tires are junk on this one, but I changed out 6 from the deuce yesterday, so I can take two of the good ones and slap 'em on this trailer.

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here's the pig behind the deuce. Pulls well, can't tell it's there. The M/C was full of goo :cry: , so I guess I gotta pull the hubs off and clean/repair the wheel cylinders. Oh well, gives me something to do and keeps me out of trouble :)

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: It

WillWagner said:
Here's the pig behind the deuce. Pulls well, can't tell it's there. The M/C was full of goo :cry: , so I guess I gotta pull the hubs off and clean/repair the wheel cylinders. Oh well, gives me something to do and keeps me out of trouble :)
Will,

Did you hook up the glad hand airline for the trailer brakes?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: It

Yeah. The original one had a split in the hose. Went to BPS truck parts, got some new line and made a new one. Checked the M/C...see above post...Put air to the gald hand...thump, thump from the air part of the M/C. Pulled the hyd part off, piston was stuck at the bottom of the stroke. Took all that apart, cleaned it up, re assembled and tried to bleed the brakes...no way. Think there's too much goo in the system.

area52

So did you just us a spray can and paint over the white? did you rough up the white at all before or just a good cleaning?

did you free hand the camo pattern?

looks good

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just a little scotch brite and rattle can Aervo paint.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: It

WillWagner said:
Yeah. The original one had a split in the hose. Went to BPS truck parts, got some new line and made a new one. Checked the M/C...see above post...Put air to the gald hand...thump, thump from the air part of the M/C. Pulled the hyd part off, piston was stuck at the bottom of the stroke. Took all that apart, cleaned it up, re assembled and tried to bleed the brakes...no way. Think there's too much goo in the system.
So you towed it around w/o trailer brakes?
I've heard it'll tow just fine w/o the brakes hooked up...any thougths?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: It

I've towed them bunches of times with and without brakes. You can do OK without them but they do increase stopping distance a bit. With the brakes they tow really well. Funny note, we were on the ECC back in 2005 and N3UKA was following me. We had just went through a tunnel somewhere on the way and I decided to check the trailer brakes. I was driving the tractor so I reached up and grabbed the trolley brake and smoke instantly rolled out of the tires on the trailer. Think I startled N3UKA.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: It

I only pulled it a mile or so. They'll be fixed b-4 I pull it any farther.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks