• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's what's under the hood that counts

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's my next truck, beautiful! Can you give up a little info for us newbies? Is this one you still have or as the title suggests, a friend from the past?

I see yellow so it must be a Cat. How big dat big motor? What was it attached to it for a trani and do you have more pictures? Any yellow or Big Block pictures of the GMC Early Deuces?

That is some serious motivation, thank you.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's my next truck, beautiful! Can you give up a little info for us newbies? Is this one you still have or as the title suggests, a friend from the past?

I see yellow so it must be a Cat. How big dat big motor? What was it attached to it for a trani and do you have more pictures? Any yellow or Big Block pictures of the GMC Early Deuces?

That is some serious motivation, thank you.
Most likly a 3208 cat .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those old 3208s weren't powerhouses but they're bound to beat a multifuel.

Lots of people call them "throw away" engines because they don't have replaceable sleeves. They seem to run forever anyway though so I don't see it as a big issue.

I've ran them in trucks and construction equipment. Overall I think they are pretty good engines.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the engine had plenty of power, 200 hp but over 600 ft lbs torque so it didn't even care about hills. trans had .66 OD, special from fire equipment with that trans. my complaint was the fuel knock, it was really bad, had to wear hearing protection. cat made a silencer kit for the fords that used that engine, but it was to little to really help.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never really cared for Cat engines, they never seemed to be especially powerful or sound all that distinctive. They're reliable, just nothing to get excited about to me. Of course for a deuce, that's a lot of engine. I'd rather have a Cummins personally, just my flavor.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, they have a bad fuel knock.

Every one I've ever been around would start great (even in cold weather) but would white smoke really bad until warmed up.

The only real problem I've got with Cat engines is the dealers think their parts are made of gold. The truck I drive almost daily has a 425hp 3406B in it. Hasn't really given any major problems but our other truck with 400hp Cummins in it will out pull it. For some reason the Jake brakes don't seem to hold as well on the Cats as they do the Cummins.