• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

j-bolts, fab/source/???

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it finally happened. The deuce [and USN motor whaleboat] are in storage here in NO, and on the last weekly status visit to check things and run the truck I left the bleeding accessory switch on. aua What with weekly visits, the batteries ran down. Pulled 'em for recharging, and the box and clamp frame for cleaning/re-finishing. I note that the j-bolts are corroded at the 'J' from ~40 yrs of wear+acidic corrosion. Still have about 40% remaining, but would like to replace 'em. Battery shop has lighter bolts that are too long and the 'J' is too short for the case and not flat. Heavy-duty truck place has nothing, and truck assembly enterprise same-same.

Search revealed one driver who fabbed. Nada mas. Do folks fab 'em, or is there a source for new ones.? Looked at a big fasterner place here, Eric's, White Owl, et al w/o success. Suggestions??

PS
Finding manufacturers of square-end hook bolts [they ain't j-bolts] that can supply 3/8- or 5/16-inch by 10-inch in a variety of materials and coatings. Seems it'll take some calls. More later.

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. The existing bolts are square-end hooks, not round-end js. MC's hook lengths are too short. Thanks for the attempt.

littlebob

Make some out of stainless rod. A vise Hammer, torch and die. I need to make a few for myself, and don't have one to copy.
PM me with some dimensions and a pic please.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all for inputs. Got a quote of manufacture...$15.43/8.52/2.10 apiece for 5/10/400 bolts, respectively. Memphis has 'em for ~$11, and the ones they have come with the rubber coating. Placed an order. Memphis calls 'em j-bolts...square-end hook bolt drew a blank.

Photo shows the wear and tear, and the remaining bit of rubber on the shank. Dimensions for anyone who wants to make 'em up.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks