• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

J-pipe drain

dcwilkie

Started the Deuce yesterday after an afternoon shower and blew wet tiny black specks all over everything.
I'd like to weld a fitting on the bottom of the pipe and install a drain plug. Anyone know why this won't work?

Atomic

I'm not trying to be a a$$ when I say this but would'nt a coffee can or 5 gal bucket work just fine and save you a bunch money and time?

A

A/C Cages

But always remember to remove it before it blows off and hits your wifes Hummer leaving a chip in the windshield...oops She will never let me live that one down.lol

DMaddox

Started the Deuce yesterday after an afternoon shower and blew wet tiny black specks all over everything.
I'd like to weld a fitting on the bottom of the pipe and install a drain plug. Anyone know why this won't work?

I think this is a great idea!! I have been planing to do the same thing with mine. Just a simple 1/2 ball valve should do the trick. Go to the local plumbing supply and buy a 1/2 inch weld-a-let. Be careful not to blow through the stack.

Heavysteven

I am thinking of cuting my stack flat horizontally and adding a rain flap. I saw one at the tractor supply store in canton. This would make it "simple stupid".

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I am think of cuting my stack flat horizontally and added a rain flap. I saw one at the tractor supply store in canton. This would make it "simple stupid".
Mine came with one on it from uncle sam, works good, j-pipe is as solid as a new one:jumpin:.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

No need for pipe fittings or a ball valve. Just drill a small 1/8" hole, into the bottom of the J-pipe. That is all that's needed to keep water from pooling.

ARYankee

It's a great idea!!! I have thought about doing this as well. I have even suggested it to a couple of members a while back. I was thinking of putting a solenoid on there with a toggle switch in the cab but a manual ball valve will work just the same. I need to add this to my growing list of mods :) Thanks for bringing this up.

swampzr2

If I didn't have a flapper on mine, I would do like Ridge runner said. Just drill a real small hole at the lowest point in the "J"

No need for pipe fittings or a ball valve. Just drill a small 1/8" hole, into the bottom of the J-pipe. That is all that's needed to keep water from pooling.

197thhhc

Drill a small hole at the lowest point like others have said. No muss no fuss. We did it to the deuces in my unit when we went to Honduras " to build roads" because of the huge amounts of rain down there.

tm america

Yup just drill an 1/8 inch hole in the bottom of the j .. Most cars have similar holes in the mufflers to prevent this exact problem.. i have a friend who bought a brand new mecedes.. it wouldn't start in the winter turned out it didn't have a drain hole it the exhaust system and the water would freeze in the bottom of the muffler and plug the exhaust-no start.