• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jd 6101 or 6125 repower in m939

So just did an overhaul on a 619 jd. Been dreaming ever since about swapping one into a 5 ton. Really only a useful gain when replacing the nhc250. It's pretty comparably to the 8.3. The benefit of more displacement over the 8.3 but less weight then the 250. It would take some fabrication and a custom bellhousing. But would most definitely be unique.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

It would be a neat replacement for a 250 powered truck but most of us interested in replacing the 250 would be aiming more towards the Big Cam 400. Alot more commonality and we can keep that big C on the side of the intake manifold! Since the Big Cam 400 was used in tons of vehicles, it is much more common and from my standpoint, cheaper.

red

Never messed with JD engines. Was planning to install a DT466 in my old m35a2 and later a m51a2. Parted out both trucks and decided to just stick with the m816 only and keep the larger 855 series engine. If the 250 goes I'm undecided if I'll rebuild the 250 or swap it out for one of it's stronger siblings.

wcuhillbilly

B model CAT........ with an 18speed and double lockers..... (insert tim allen grunts......)
older B model cats are all mechanical like our 855 cummins, but put out a lot more low-mid range grunt... but I don't have a full shop and $$$$ laying around...

JD aint bad, but when you have the only one there is around, it gets fairly lonely diagnosing and fairly costly at the parts house.... especially when it comes to Green Iron...... My JD 450 dozer is expensive enough...

Wishing aside, the 855 is the small block chevy of big diesels.... the parts are relatively cheap and plentiful, and tunable to over 400hp....

acme66

I have thought seriously about it several times with a wide variety of motors. I think with a divorced transfer case you have a bunch of options for power, it is just hard to find anything big with an auto behind it.

Ken

wcuhillbilly

I have thought seriously about it several times with a wide variety of motors. I think with a divorced transfer case you have a bunch of options for power, it is just hard to find anything big with an auto behind it.

Ken
Who says it has to be an auto???? finding a donor drivetrain with a multi speed tranny is relatively easy, finding one you can afford is not as easy... Its not that hard to mount a clutch pivot on the frame, and a lot of the bigger newer drivelines have hydraulic clutch slaves now.
On the auto side.... 2 points.... 1). the bellhousings are the same patterns if you stay with the SAE typing. 2) the autos usually have a torque converter that bolts to the flywheel or a modified flywheel. (thus no actual flexplate like the auto industry) A lot of the later model big rigs are actually autos now.... but the trannys are more computer controlled by the chassis computer and the engine computer... would take some computer kid to figure out how to separate the two... The days of my 2001 24v cummins in an 85 GM truck are long gone... kids are driving by laptop now... used to be that hillbillys like me just put the sensors from one engine into another and made sure the voltage was right...

Ken, I know with what your doing you need to stay auto...... I understand...

snowtrac nome

I would go bc400 and auto trans from a 915 of course you might also want a t case upgrade as the 250 was able to split the case a 400 will certainly be able to do it. I'm not brand loyal they all make me money I like the idea of doing something different using a deere motor would be cool.