• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry Can Paint and O Ring

kennys@wi.rr.com

I recently was given a Jerry Can from a member, Poof, and picked one up at a local flee market, 7Mile Fair. Both nice solid cans with some surface rust but no holes. So today I started on the one I picked up from the fair because it needs lots of work. I used a rustoleum product called rust stripper, it smells a bit funny but works very nice. If you've ever stripped paint from wood before it's similar to that but it doesn't take the paint off just the rust. The metal will still need to be sanded to remove rough or loose paint and to somewhat smooth out the metal where the rust was. So far the project is going well. I picked up some of the Rustoleum Camo Forest Green paint, not sure if it's the shade I want but it beats rust.

Now what I need help finding is one more cap for one of the cans and a rubber seal for the one that I do have. Also I'm not sure how good the seal is on the nozzel and may need a new nozzel. Does anyone know where I can pick these items up?

And I know how we all love pictures and I will do my best to post some. I have one big downfall, I always forget to take the before pictures. I do have one with the stripper applied so I will post that for now. When I have a chance to get the green on I will post those.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find a source for the seal let me know, I need abut a dozen, but I don't want to pay $8 a seal either. We have a gasket wholesaler in town I am heading over there tomorrow, I will post what I find. As for caps, they seem to be about the same price as a whole can when you can find one!
James

tm america

ya i'm looking for some of those two i could make some from rubber stock if i need to but i think it would be better to get them already made.if anyone finds a seller please let us know

Srjeeper

Here ya go..........

www.adirondackdodgeparts.com under "Products", select "Military Vehicles" then look in "Exterior". They're listed as 'Gas Can Rubber Gaskets' for $1.00 each. They also have 'Gas Cap' listed to, but I'd check to see what kind of cap it is.

Also look here www.shopwiki.com/Gas+Can+Gaskets ..[thumbzup]

E-Bay has new lids Item # 290423217677 and 20 packs of Gaskets Item # 220600275747.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny this comes up. I rarely use my cans. Today I needed to fetch 10 gallons of diesel for the M108 and used these cans. It's amazing how fast you can dump one with the correct donkey **** and a clear vent tube (they are usually clogged). Less than a minute each!

kennys@wi.rr.com

Thank you for the links. I will be ordering those up tonight or tomorrow. And I am also posting the pics of the one can that is mostly completed. Debating if I want to paint the top of the can yellow or just stencil it diesel.

Attachments

kennys@wi.rr.com

Would anyone have pictures of how the straps work on the holders? Mine doesn't have the straps and I don't want to assume I'm smarter than the strap and can by a set and hook it up with no problem.

Thank you

jasonjc

Wow 7 mile fair[thumbzup] I have not been there in 25-30 years. I use to go there with my dad all the time when I was a kid. Back then they had alot of good stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks