• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JHGW5A genset questions

Milbikes

Hello all, I have a 1950's military 5K generator model JHGW5A powered by a Hercules ZXAER 4 cylinder gas engine. I need to replace a broken head stud, and also need a head gasket. I have not been able to locate a head gasket. Any known sources where I could buy a head gasket?

Also, the head stud is broken off level with the block. I remember having troubles removing broken exhaust studs on VW beetles way back when. The results were sometimes ugly....steel in an aluminum head. What would your suggestions be on removing this one? Drill down the center in increasing larger drill sizes, then tap it? Drill the center and use an easy-out? Those things scare me....break one off and you have big troubles.....

So this little engine looks rebuilt with low time on it, looks like stellite valves and seats? Too bad it sat for so long. Hal

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Old Guy that I worked for in the welding shop, when I was a Kid, was a surgeon at this stuff. ... Ist, and foremost, get the center hole centered, then drill ALL the way through the stud. Drill it larger and larger (but not too large), and try an easy-out. Another trick is, about this stage, is to use a cutting torch/heat one side of the stud and give a quick blast of O2. The effect will shrink the stud, when it cools. Try easy-out again. Then try drilling larger. If its (hole) off center, use small capeing chisel to tap side to center of hole and pick out pieces. You'll get it! Your lucky the the whole thing is not down in an engine compartment and you have to stand on your head to do the job. We never had them, but if you use left handed drill bits, sometimes they will un-screw the stud. Get some baby chisels and grind the ends to the shape, as you dneed them. Always us never sieze on the studs. Good Luck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EZ out should do the trick. Did you call Jerry Biro? He's the Hercules old parts guy. Google his name for contact info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks