• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a thought for the Ultimate 5 ton

Monroe V.F.D. 514

i had that thought also but then all the weight would still mostly be located directly under the tires. im on a Fire dept here and both of our tankers are 5ton military trucks. where i live there are a lot of hills and valleys and the snow gets really deep at times and there are places that even the plow trucks cant go. yea i know 5 ton trucks go just about anywhere but when there is over 1500 gallons of water on top of them they tend to really sink in the snow the real track conversion would better distribute the weight and provide better grip at the same time.

Csm Davis

like the track idea even got a set coming to try! just the ones you can run over the outside of the duel wheels but I stole this pic from the net awhile back may try this next! Or with the tracks on back and skidder tires up front:cookoo::driver:

Attachments

Monroe V.F.D. 514

i like ur idea also i was looking into the tracks over the wheels a lil more and decided it would b much cheaper and easier to put tracks on the rear tires and do the track conversion mod on the front im thinking the tire over the tire would give more area on the ground with there being 4 tracks on the ground. and i would love to see some pics when u get yours installed and how u like them i might convince the fire dept to dump some money into it. being a volunteer fire dept our money is very VERY thin.

Monroe V.F.D. 514

i had looked into them but the biggest kit they have is for a max 25,000 lbs. GVW. But out truck holds 2000 gallons of water tht alone is nearly 17,000lbs then include all the weight of the tank our pump plus the truck were pretty much over weight now i dont think their kit would be able to support all the weight of the truck.

emr

but that depends on amount of wheels I guess, more wheels less pounds to ground, but even the duel set up has to be improved because there is a much longer and wider foot print with the tracks adding girth to the ground for each wheel and the center has to add something for sure, , would have to be better...

XanRa

i had looked into them but the biggest kit they have is for a max 25,000 lbs. GVW. But out truck holds 2000 gallons of water tht alone is nearly 17,000lbs then include all the weight of the tank our pump plus the truck were pretty much over weight now i dont think their kit would be able to support all the weight of the truck.
i dont think your distributing the weight out right for the tracks, its just like tires

Monroe V.F.D. 514

i dont think your distributing the weight out right for the tracks, its just like tires
i think i know what your saying but what im saying is the limits that the track kit themselves have.

but that depends on amount of wheels I guess, more wheels less pounds to ground, but even the duel set up has to be improved because there is a much longer and wider foot print with the tracks adding girth to the ground for each wheel and the center has to add something for sure, , would have to be better...
and yes your right the tracks on the tires add a little bit bigger foot print for the rear set of tires ive decided to just leave the duals and add tracks because i couldn't put dual tracks so the tires with tracks would equal more of a foot print but the front tires foot print still remains nearly the same as if i had no track and when snow gets to around 5 feet in rual areas where i live the tracks on the front would help keep the front of the truck on the snow instead of sinking. tht just my thoughts on the subject if i could afford it id just try it all. (look out if i ever hit the lotto) :-D

jollyroger

i think i know what your saying but what im saying is the limits that the track kit themselves have.

and yes your right the tracks on the tires add a little bit bigger foot print for the rear set of tires ive decided to just leave the duals and add tracks because i couldn't put dual tracks so the tires with tracks would equal more of a foot print but the front tires foot print still remains nearly the same as if i had no track and when snow gets to around 5 feet in rual areas where i live the tracks on the front would help keep the front of the truck on the snow instead of sinking. tht just my thoughts on the subject if i could afford it id just try it all. (look out if i ever hit the lotto) :-D
Then dual up the front wheels and add the tracs to that. They also do the trac band for single wheels so it is like tire chains only easier and more floatation but not as much as dualing the front.

Monroe V.F.D. 514

Then dual up the front wheels and add the tracs to that. They also do the trac band for single wheels so it is like tire chains only easier and more floatation but not as much as dualing the front.
not a bad idea that would be a lot cheaper but i dont think dual front wheels would fit through the garage door :cry: thanks for all the ideas.